• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am going to Duck Hunt on Sunday am and hit Pelican Lake on Sunday afternoon/evening.

Anyone been there lately?

I will leave a report.

Hitman

1400 posts!? Hey I remember when I had more than you....and it wasn't that long ago! shocked.gifgrin.gif

I might hit Pelican tomorrow if it's not raining. I figure it's about time as my boat hasn't been out of the garage in six weeks! I'll let you know how it went if I make it.

remember though, about 1200 are about his 10" walleyes that he catches on big c ooo.gifcrazy.gif

just kidding hitman! good luck out on the lakes both hunting and fishing this weekend! i'll be hittin big c on saturday in search of your walleyes!

Bite -- you Ol' SeaDog!

Stay away from my 10-inchers -- remember I am Da Hitman !!

grin.gifwink.gifcool.gifcool.gif

That sounds odd, I know.

I'll let you guys know how I did.

Hitman

Me and a buddy and I are off to Pelican right now to hit our Fall Honey Hole! They should be ready to bite now! I'll give a report when I get back!

My buddy and I got 16 walleyes in the boat and lost probably 10 more halfway up. It was a bonanza! However, the average size was about 13 inches and they were all inbetween 11 and 15 inches. The biggest one was 16 inches and I had one on that felt like it was pretty good (like 18 -22 inches maybe, although I caught a big bullhead right after that right under the boat, so that nice walleye could also have been that bullhead smile.gif). We got out there by about 6:30 and left by 10:30 PM (this was this past Friday). We were just ahchored and fishing our "fishing hole on Pelican" that I have tried to describe on this site a lot (its kind of hard to describe). One thing that was important is that you had to be right on the drop and casting parallel to it or no luck! We were using a 16th ounze green and chartreuse lindy snag free jig and a minnow (this is always the jig to use in Pelican for them eyes!)I also like to put a Coleman lantern as close to the water as I can. I think with the clear water, the fish attract to the thing. By the end of the night, there was a little school of minnows following the light and this gave me further evidence to prove my lantern theory right.

One funny thing (there's always a story smile.gif) - I spent the previous Thursday night about 3 hours making some repairs and whatnot in my boat. So, I thought I was already to go when Friday came. But, as we were driving all the way back to the boat launch after fishing, my alarm went on and the motor was boggin down - well, I looked in the oil resevoir and it was bone dry! It was a long, dark trip back to the boat launch, but man, it was a pretty good night of fishing!

One last thing, I have never seen so many boats cruising around the pitch black without navigation lights as I saw at Pelican this past Friday. I don't know if those boat captains consumed too many beverages or what, but I started to get nervous driving in to the launch! Good Luck to all!

Bison --

You give the best reports. Thanks.

I wish i could say that I made it out on Sunday, but I did not. I didn't get much sleep the night before and I went hunting early Sunday AM.

The birds were flying and we did well. Six guys 12 geese and six ducks by 11 am. I am proud to say I hit 2 geese in 15 minutes a one duck in three hours.

Hope to get out in boat soon.

Hitman

Thanks!

Yeah, I also like to fish the ol' Big Water, Devils Lake, in the Fall as well (my buddies and I are htting it up Oct. 14th) and during those times, I can hear the guns crackin all over the place - those guns usually are being used by duck hunters all over the lake - some of the duckboat rigs I have seen up there in the past couple of years have been pretty sweet!

Isn't it illegal to use a light source (hanging a latern) over the boat at night? I was told that once, not sure if it is true. confused.gif

Page 10 of the Regs:

Using an artificial light to lure or attract fish, or to see fish when spearing, is unlawful. Exception: While angling, a person may affix to the end of a fishing line a lighted artificial bait with hooks attached. Any battery that is used in lighted fishing lures cannot contain any intentionally introduced mercury.

Leave it to the DNR to not answer the question.

I have seen a ton of people do that -- don't know if it is legal or not.

Dead -- when you are done squeezing the "big females" maybe you could call the DNR?

wink.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

I love that one. I LOVE IT!!!!

i thought the reg was clear confused.gif

no purposely shining of lights into the water at night while fishing. Obvious if you are netting a fish, etc., it is legit. This rule also applies to ice fishing. you can't use a lantern to illuminate or see down a hole at night. CO's have and will continue to ticket those who practice this.

hitman, of course I drove through hawleywood yesterday on the way to my daughter's doctor appointment in fargo and didn't bring along any stickers to drop off. D'oh! classic.....

I wonder if I will even get out again before Ice fishing -- Hunting has been goooood.

Hunting must be good...haven't gotten any good fishing reports lately! Want to get out myself, but workin beet harvest, and the way its going I'll be doing it til Thanksgiving! Anyway, hoping to get a fishing report or two soon ya'll!

My buddy and I hope to get out on Pelican a couple more times this year. I had somebody pull up to me as I was parking my boat this past weekend and he asked, "are you puttin her away for the winter?" To which I replied, heck no! This is the best time of the year to fish! I don't put my boat away until first ice!

Coincidentally, my buddy and I hit Devils Lake this weekend and as we were driving up at 5:00 am from Fargo, we noticed that the duck sloughs we looking awefully still - that was because they were capped over with a thin sheet of ice! So, I think it will be sooner than we think for ice fishing this year - of course, we are getting warmer weather again though...

Also, we limited out on 3 - 4 lb walleyes this weekend at Devils and I also boated a 42 inch northern. The fishing was dynamite! Man, I love the MN lakes, but Devils still is my favorite! Good Luck to all for the late Fall bite!

I finally hit the H2O!!!!!

I passed on Pheasant hunting and went after the eyes and was not dissapointed.

The day trip to Pelican started out looking like it was going to be a bad day. We left Hawley-wood at 3:45 went to Lake Park to get bait and Bob's was out. No minnows to speak of, like one minnow per ten scoops and Bud's was clossed I couldn't believe that. So we drove back to Hawley and got some nice bait at Kirk's and hit Pelican at about 5:30.

Got the first couple of nice bites at 6 p.m. in 38 feet of water. We each missed one.I caught my first walleye at 6:45 and the last one at 7:10. I caught five total. All but one were eaters -- 15-inchers. All in about 16-17 feet of water.

Each fish I caught was the steady pressure bite. I see more bites like that on Pelican than any other lake. Just pressure. Like a weed. I would say all year long -- 90 percent of our fish are caught with no "bite." I sure a lot of rookie fisherman will miss those.

My buddy caught zero. That is the way it goes sometimes.

After dark I caught a baby Musky -- 20 incher and a Rock Bass. Man I hate those things.

Hope to get out this week.

Anyone else get any?

Yes we had some of those snag bites out on ottertail this year in the middle of august. felt like you were on a rock. Good job at Pelican, My dad and i went pheasent hunting and that was a blast.

A. Shae

2-shae --

Thanks, glad I am not going nuts. Anyone else have any strange bites like that?

Hitman, those are classic Pelican walleye bites - this is why I fish with 6 pound test and a real sensitive 7 ft. St Croix! God Luck to all...

I'm back in my home town in WI right now trying that body of water there in about 2 hours! Thought I'd get back to fish with the old man a little!

Yeah, I would agree -- that is all we seem to get out there Any ideas what kind of bites those are? Are they sucking on it?

Sounds funny, I know.

I have no idea - just finicky walleye bites really...

You'll never believe this - I was back home this weekend in Wisconsin (about 9 hours away) and my alternator went out on my F - 150. My Dad and I bought a new one and changed it out this past Sunday and then I made the long trip back to Fargo. I got in at about 3:30 AM only to see my oil pressure guage flickering. I started it up yesterday to a huge racket in my engine and the oil pressure bottomed out... Needless to say, I took it out to the mechanic who initially said, "you're missing a rod - kiss of death for a truck..."

Anyways, my Dad called me yesterday and he told me that 07 Toyota Tundra's can be leased right now for $300 a month and no money down.. That's almost too good to be true!? confused.gif

Can anybody back this claim up made by my Dad? My first thought was that his claim is hard to believe...