• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Camp Traditions

love to hunt

Those types of mouse traps work great but I'd suggest using something other than anti freeze. We just use regular water and don't have a problem until it freezes. Mice can't crawl out of the bucket anyway. All kinds of critters will be attracted to the sweet smell of the anti freeze and you may end up getting rid of something much bigger than a mouse.

Where is that Uncle of ours going to be...35+ years of hunting and he only sits still for 15 mins at a time. And still tries to follow the deer instead of waiting for them to come back to him. Even the neighbors laugh at his running around all the time. and his version of "OH HOW I

HATE TO GET UP IN THE MORNING" Who owes who a dragging or a gutting...it's your turn, not mine. Like little kids but we can't tell Mom anymore. My wife finally realized after my first 10 years of returning to deer hunting, it isn't the hunt, it is being with the family together and having fun.

We use RV anti freeze non-toxic. It doesn't freeze so it works all winter. 5 gallon bucket fill with about 4" of RV antifreeze. Run a wire through a empty can and stretch across the top of the bucket so the can easily rotates on the wire. Smear peanut butter on the can when the mouse goes after the bait it falls in the anti-freeze. The other reason to use anti-freeze is the mice don't seem to smell as bad as they would with just water. Make sure you leave a ramp of some sort so the mice can climb to the top af the trap. We had a bad mouse problem and this really helped.

We've had pine marten reach into the bucket for a free meal when we've put the traps outside.

Anyway I suppose I should share one of our traditions. We show up either Thursday or Friday before season. The guys that show up Thursday have milk toast for breakfast Friday morning. IMO YUCK! My uncle starts his spaghetti at about noon and everyone gets there gear ready for the morning. Usually someone starts a fire outside and we stand around telling stories until it's time to eat. grin.gif Oh man I cannot wait!!!

Well it starts out usually Friday before opener.I'm usually the first one to camp so I get it opened up,furnace going,unpacked,etc.I love being the first one up at camp,waiting for the guys to get up there.It is about so much more than killing deer. It's about tradition,comaraderie,friends and good times.Almost sounds like a beer commercial!!:) Friday night is usually spent reliving stories of past deer hunts,readying gear/weapons,tilting a few cold ones back and BS'ing. Saturday is balls to the walls hunting,from dawn til dusk.Back at the shack there's usually crock pots going with Venison Chili,Stew,Soup,etc.Stuff to warm your bones on those cold days:)By sunday there are usually a few deer hanging so we spend the night drinking,gambling,etc. Basically tearing it up and celebrating the hunt. There's nothing like deer camp!! I hope there's deer hunting in heaven:)

Well ours has changed over the years, but still heaven on earth. Camp used to be an old bus, converted to a camper parked in a gravel pit next to the 2000 acres we used to lease. It had an old furncace that you could hear at night, "click-click-click(and your thinking "C'mon baby, light) and then BOOM" Thank go it lit. Guys on the top bunks sweating in their underwear, guys on the bottom freezing their butts off. Well 8 years ago we lost that lease so now it is public land north of Brainerd. The hunting isn't the same, but good times for sure. This year we uprgraded from a 600 sq ft cabin to a $750,000 mansion(party member tore down his cabin and built a dream home). Sit around by the fire telling stories of years past, passing around the peanuts. Eat a feast fit for a king on opening morning for breakfast and head out to that crisp, silence in the woods that you never really feel unless your hunting. Spend the rest of the weekend talking about this buck and that doe and "I can't believe you missed." The worst is Sunday night...pack up...head home and know we have to wait another year to do it all again....deer camp is one of those things you can't live without

Good Guys, Good Food, Memories and Beer!!

Our camp traditions include: getting up to Jake's camp (Britt) on Friday before opener, unpacking the 30-packs of Hamm's (pronounced Haah-mmmmmmmm-z) first and grabbing the last one put in the fridge to drink, lining up the Buck Bottles on the counter, unpacking all the hunting gear we meticulously packed 5 weeks ago, then BSing with the crew until everyone gets into camp. At that point, we listen to the "Turdy Point Buck" and "The Second Week a Deer Camp" to get us psyched for opener. At this point, Jake has already checked out everyone's rifle admiringly commenting on all the features he likes on each gun, including his own.

Breakfast everyday is fried eggs, ham (or veni steaks if there are any left), and cheese on a toasted english muffin and dinners consist of Pasties, duck and wild rice stew, venison chili (made from leftover ground veni from last year), and more Hammies to wash it all down! There is generally a mad scramble to get outside about 5 minutes after any meal in which venison is prepared, because Nicky B will be tearing up the plumbing and you don't want to be anywhere near that disaster!

Cribbage or poker is played at night while the old guys watch "Escanaba in Da Moonlight", while Goat is on the porch smokin' a heater, and Nicky B is back in the bathroom

And we too visit the Wooden Table up by Buhl and grab a pitcher (or 7), some Runty Reubens, an order of deep-fried ham sandiches, and one more round! This year, though, you will find me at Liquid Larry's up in Kinney on Opener night to collect my prize for the Big Buck Contest!

"Escanaba in Da Moonlight"!!!:) We added this to our list of traditions last year:)What a GREAT movie for the deer shack!!:) Ol' Jimmer Negamanee is a riot!!:)

We (buddy and I) stopped at a friend's cabin on the way up north and he had that movie. I watched the first half and thought it was great. Had to get going to my camp before sunup.

I checked out the movie when I got home. Yuck! The second half is waayyyyyy off the wall!

I left at the right time, the second half is for the birds.

Quote:

the second half is for the birds.

Agreed... but the first half is hard to beat...

marine_man