Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
orangestew

Keeping mice out of boat?

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering what works the best at keeping mice out of a boat during winter storage? This year I will be storing it in a relatives out building and I am a little worried about how I can keep the mice out. Moth balls? Dryer sheets? What works the best? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. confused.gif

I have used moth balls and they work o.k. They do leave a little smell but that will go away.

I have used dryer sheets for my portable fish house and they work but need to be replaced often.

Now,I try to keep moth balls and dryer sheets and mouse poisen in the building.Just be care full if you have pets around the mouse food or you will be short a pet or two.

Put moth balls in old socks, tie a knot in the end of the socks, and put them in all of your storage compartments and by the wiring, etc. Works great. Easy to get rid of them in the spring and the smell goes away quickly. I use 1-2 boxes of moth balls and 8-10 socks.

Unless these mice are falling from the sky, stop them at the tires with a ring of mothballs around each tire and the jack stand.

Use bars of Dove soap.. works great and smells much better than moth balls.

Soap we use to leave the soap in the soap dish in an old trailer and the mice would eat the soap.

Throw a big mean farm cat in the boat and don't feed it.

Quote:

Use bars of Dove soap.. works great and smells much better than moth balls.

Hey, few years ago was Irish Spring...I never bought a bar after this, figuring if it repels mice....what else will repel ?

Now I have to change soap bar again ?

Just kidding, I had good luck with soap and/or moth balls.

Soap is definitely better smelling, if you use the balls put them in an old wife's nylon, and tie it up shut so it won't scatter all over the boat, I used a lot of it (like 1/2 box /boat).

For the last 5 years I have used dryer sheets, I put one in each compartment as well as a few in along the floor. I have not had any mice at all.

Iceseeker

I tried the dryer sheets once and I found the mice made a nest with them!

Val what if you dont have a old wife?

I used dryer sheets and it worked. I put Mint oil around the tires and jack but I dont seriously know if it helped or I just dont have any mice around.

Saturate the inside of your boat w/ the moth balls-have not had a "meece" in my boat since I started doing this years ago...As others have pointed out-put them in EVERY compartment, including livewells/rod lockers, etc. If you miss a spot, they will find it.