Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Horn

Fishing in the Olympics

22 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of fishing in the Olympic games?

No, its not Athletic enough. How the heck would they pick a team and or have try outs? Would they drug test the fisherman? wink.gif

Steve,they would have to beer test everyone. smile.gif

Quote:

Steve,they would have to beer test everyone.
smile.gif

I'm out.

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif

I'm out.

I'm out too..... grin.gif

I'm in if the competition would be Monday thru Friday 5:00p.m., otherwise I'm out. smirk.gif

I like the ESPN Great Outdoor Games. Besides, the Olympics have become to "Politcally Correct". PETA would have an aneurism.

Doug

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif

I'm out.

I'm out too..... grin.gif

No, I think beer would be required. You're in.

It might be hard when the olympics are held in some place like China. Would we send our best bass fisherman or walleye fisherman or what? Who the heck knows what kind of fish they have over there?

Aren't the Ice fishing World Championships in China soon???? hopefully those guys will know what types of fish are there!!!!

I don't know??? The last time that I tried to do a little trolling in an Olympic Pool somebody called the cops on me. grin.gif Two years ago my friend barely got his auger started up in the Excel Center and they were yelling at him. confused.gif

Ozzie, you are correct. The Ice fishing Championship is in China this year. The reason I asked the question was that I heard that the Bass Classic was going to drug test this year. They said it was because they are trying to get fishing in the games. I'm against it. I don't see any reason to have them in the Olympics.

Fishing has nothing to do with the Olympics. Fishing has its Olympics in all the big time tourneys.

I disagree. Fishing's Olympics are conducted, moderated, and scored by regular guys who go out and catch fish every weekend, and guides putting clients on fish on a daily basis.

Not taking anything away from tournament fisherfolks, but that style of fishing is pretty far removed from the world inhabited by most of humanity.

How you judge a good day on the water?

I won't watch it, instead I'll go fishing and maybe watch a sunrise or sun set and catch supper. I guess I could buy a patch for my hat too just to have something to show for my efforts.

Amen Jackpine and S.T.

I am going to take a guess here that Olympic fishing will not be the kind of fishing that your are thinking of but more like the european match fishing where teams compete using 30'poles and 1# line catching fish that we would not even use as bait. In the true Olympic 90% of the sports there now should not be. As the original was based on an individual in running and strength contests. I don't remember the Greeks playing much softball or speed skating. If fishing is entered I can see berry and nut gathering not to far behind. With that said I don't want to start a debate about the Olympic set up just making a point for say the x games. Sometimes old should be kept old and new should find it's own niche.

Quote:

PETA would have an aneurism.

Doug

All the more reason to do it. I would be in just to tic them off.

I'm with ya. I'll bring the beer!!!!!

Jackpine so are the athletes in the olympics. No way I can play basketball with Mike Jordan or Shack! The olympics are the best athletes day in and day out on any playing field and I believe the upper level tourney guys are the best fisherman day in and day out on any body of water.

The one thing that I found wierd was drug testing Bass fishing pros. I don't see the point of it. You can be big as an ox and still catch nothing.

I think they are worried about drugs like, speed, booze, painkillers etc. I doubt they are worried about Gary Roach taking steroids. wink.giftongue.gif