• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

go to steelie fly

EatSleepFish

Hasnt been alot of life in this forum so ithought id liven things up a bit wink.gif even though i have only caught 3 steelhead in my life i am quickly getting addicted.i was just wondering what everybodys favorite fly to use when fishing steelhead. so far i have caught 2 (28 and 24 inches) off of a oregon cheese egg fly and then last week i got a little 21 incher off a stonefly.

In the spring my go to fly is a watermellon yarn fly. In the fall I almost always start the day with a black bead head woolly bugger with some crystal flash tied in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly new to the game of fly fishing steelies, as my dad only fishes them with hardware and spawn, but i've found that x-legs are my favorite fly for the steelies, probably cause thats the only fly i've ever caught them with, including 3 nice ones with not a whole lot of time logged in on the brule so far this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only made 1 steelie trip in my life, and that was just this past fall. The fly the steelies chose was a gold beadheaded brown woooly with flash in the tail.

I was wondering . . . does anyone use egg sucking leeches, flesh flies, or any other type of streamer for steelies up on either the north or south shore? In preperation for my trip I tied up a bunch of streamer type flies, but everyone I talked to didn't really have much to say about streamers.

Later.

Marc

i have caught fish on egg sucking leeches before on the south shore and north shore, I guess I just have more confidence in the other flies i've mentioned. When the water is still warm i will occationally try swinging a streamer such as a clouser or deciever but have had better luck getting the salmon and browns to smack em then i have with the steelies.