Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kurtkwe

Whitewater youth deer hunt questions

7 posts in this topic

My daughter drew a permit to hunt the refuge during the youth hunt in the Whitewater refuge MEA weekend. Just wondering if anyone else has participated in this in the past and how it went. I know they give out some permits for this refuge during 3B season as well so if anyone is willing to share some information it would be much appreciated. I have fished in this area many times but never hunted it nor given the crowds do I ever expect to again. I have hunted the bluff country in the past just not Whitewater. I'm not looking to have my daughter shoot someone's Boone and Crocket buck they have been scouting, she would be thrilled to come home with a nice doe on her first hunt.

Well you'll be in the best place in the state to take the buck of a life time.This area is my old stomping grounds of 17 years.

I have never hunted the refuge but hunted close to it many times.Seen plenty of monsters.When your in beaver heading up the gravel road to weaver when you see the river next to the road on your right thats where i would be looking.Problem is you need a boat to get accross the creek or walk in from the blacktop.

If you walk in from the blacktop there is a logging road that goes all the way back to this area.Most of the big bucks hang in this area.Early mornings you can see several big bucks out in the field.

I would give anything for a 1 day hunt in this area.Good luck to you/lil girl shoot a monster of a lifetime

What area will you be in? I hunt in Elba and there are plenty of deer in that area. If you guys will be down there during the 3b season maybe we could set her up on one of our drives. We usually do very well. Last year I did a drive by myself and pushed out two bucks and a doe (12,16 points) and the girl I had standing in the prime spot missed both at about 25 yards. If I can help I would love to help your daughter get her first deer. Let me know.

Never hunted the refuge before but close to it. Heard some good hunting stories from there. Look for food plots and thickets and you shouldn't have any problems taking a deer.

Thanks for all the help so far. She will be hunting MEA weekend which is Oct 19-22. I have no plans on hunting the 3B season as we hunt up in zone 168 during the regular deer season. The rules for this youth hunt say I must be with her and unarmed. We plan on walking the area a few times prior to the hunt as it is only an hour from home. If I'm reading the regs right you can small game hunt in the refuge. On the maps it appears there is a road on the east side of the river which you can walk in on. I have fished many times on the river in this stretch but never noticed a road on the east side only on the west side. I was thinking of bringing waders and walking accross the river to gain access to this area. I also noticed some good access on the far west side of the refuge. My daughter can outwalk me so I'm not afraid of taking a hike in a ways though the drag out would be tough.

Not many areas to cross in waders.That east road is the 1 i'm talking about.Long walk but well worth the walk.

If you have any plans on just shooting a deer in my mind thats a wasted tag.She should have a excelent chance at any buck and a very great chance at a buck of a lifetime.Once again good luck

My daughter didnt draw a license this year but she did get her first deer a fork horn from there last year a true trophy to her.A special time that I will always remember.She droped him with one shot and was shaking so bad afterwards.If you drive a little further down the road there is a parking spot on the right I think its the refuge line.I've crossed there with chest wadders and Hip boots when the water is low. Good luck to your daughter

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management.

1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing.

2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50

Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance"

Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board.

Unfortunately they have deep pockets.

As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.

• Big V Bobcat

Posted (edited)

That place is sinking faster than a boat anchor! I couldn't figure out why they were putting in so much money into it, especially since every time I'd drive by at dinner hour, there'd be at best 5 cars parked there. Always a good crowd at the Crescent of course. I don't mind the lack of view...since I'm usually on the lake most of the day already. I remember the days of Judd and Jack, and the place was lively and included the locals. Now it is mostly oblivious resort guests who see it as the only option. Very "pretentious" place that would be better suited in the Brainerd lakes area. My wife's co-worker told her that he was there this summer and they charged him $2 for a glass of water and .75 for mustard (in a stainless steel cup of course). I'd like to check out Wolf Bay, but I need a faster boat first! Don't even get me started on the $7 beers....

Edited by Big V Bobcat
    • OhioVike

Posted

My entire family loves coming up to the lake. We make it part of the routine to stop at the landing at least once per trip.  At the end of the day a few extra bucks per entree is no big deal. Our meals have always been good, service has varied with the crowds which is true everywhere up there.  Run the per pound cost on your walleye catch. The few meals a year you eat there would pale in comparison.  I hope they stay open, it is a fun part of our trips!

• FrazerBay

Posted

Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile..

but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.

1 person likes this
    • LakeofthewoodsMN

Posted

Walleyes and Saugers continue to move closer to the south shore. Good fishing in 23 feet of water outside the Lighthouse gap and all along the south shore. Shiner minnows in the area keeping large schools of walleyes active! The bite will continue to improve in the coming weeks. Anchoring and jigging with a shiner minnow successful with gold or pink/gold the colors of choice. Some crankbait action in the afternoons to cover water to find active schools. Lots of ducks and geese in the area as local waterfowl still around. Should expect a good northern push in a few weeks as it gets colder.

The Rainy River continues to get better each day as more shiners and walleyes push into the river. Fall walleye fishing on the Rainy River can be some of the best! Sturgeon are being boated up and down the river daily. 

Up at the Northwest Angle, walleye and sauger action is hot. Drifting with a bottom bouncer, spinner, and a minnow doing great. Anchoring and jigging with a minnows doing good as well. Look for deep holes and mud areas in 18-30 feet between Oak and Flag Island. Also look for points with depths of 8-18 feet as shiners have started moving into bays. On the Ontario side, walleye fishing is red hot as the feed bags are on to bulk up for the winter. Use electronics to locate schools of fish in 18 to 28 feet and use a jig and minnow. Bottom bouncers with spinners can be used to cover water to locate fish. Crappies over 15 inches are stacked up in sharp drop offs and around flooded timber in 30 feet. Muskie action has turned to trolling large minnow baits in 10-18 feet. Plenty of waterfowl in area with local birds still around.

• Big Kype

Posted

People are getting smarter.

• Big Kype

Posted

Northern Minnesotans are strong supports of the SS rule. Shoot and shut up.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I have never had a bad meal at the Vermilion Club!

Great pizzas, wings, steaks, etc.!

Cliff

1 person likes this
    • Capt. Quicksteel

Posted

This thread makes me glad I'm on the east end!!  :)  Nobody has mentioned the Vermilion Club. Not fancy but we always enjoy the pizza etc

• Great report.  I will be fishing Fri, Sat, Sun with high school buds and we are looking forward to good fishing and good catching!!!

• Sorgy
      Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management. 1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing. 2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50 Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance" Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board. Unfortunately they have deep pockets. As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.
    • Big V Bobcat
      That place is sinking faster than a boat anchor! I couldn't figure out why they were putting in so much money into it, especially since every time I'd drive by at dinner hour, there'd be at best 5 cars parked there. Always a good crowd at the Crescent of course. I don't mind the lack of view...since I'm usually on the lake most of the day already. I remember the days of Judd and Jack, and the place was lively and included the locals. Now it is mostly oblivious resort guests who see it as the only option. Very "pretentious" place that would be better suited in the Brainerd lakes area. My wife's co-worker told her that he was there this summer and they charged him $2 for a glass of water and .75 for mustard (in a stainless steel cup of course). I'd like to check out Wolf Bay, but I need a faster boat first! Don't even get me started on the $7 beers....
    • OhioVike
      My entire family loves coming up to the lake. We make it part of the routine to stop at the landing at least once per trip.  At the end of the day a few extra bucks per entree is no big deal. Our meals have always been good, service has varied with the crowds which is true everywhere up there.  Run the per pound cost on your walleye catch. The few meals a year you eat there would pale in comparison.  I hope they stay open, it is a fun part of our trips!
    • FrazerBay
      Have to agree..food is great..best place in the winter on snowmobile.. but..the dock situation could use a big upgrade.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      Walleyes and Saugers continue to move closer to the south shore. Good fishing in 23 feet of water outside the Lighthouse gap and all along the south shore. Shiner minnows in the area keeping large schools of walleyes active! The bite will continue to improve in the coming weeks. Anchoring and jigging with a shiner minnow successful with gold or pink/gold the colors of choice. Some crankbait action in the afternoons to cover water to find active schools. Lots of ducks and geese in the area as local waterfowl still around. Should expect a good northern push in a few weeks as it gets colder. The Rainy River continues to get better each day as more shiners and walleyes push into the river. Fall walleye fishing on the Rainy River can be some of the best! Sturgeon are being boated up and down the river daily.  Up at the Northwest Angle, walleye and sauger action is hot. Drifting with a bottom bouncer, spinner, and a minnow doing great. Anchoring and jigging with a minnows doing good as well. Look for deep holes and mud areas in 18-30 feet between Oak and Flag Island. Also look for points with depths of 8-18 feet as shiners have started moving into bays. On the Ontario side, walleye fishing is red hot as the feed bags are on to bulk up for the winter. Use electronics to locate schools of fish in 18 to 28 feet and use a jig and minnow. Bottom bouncers with spinners can be used to cover water to locate fish. Crappies over 15 inches are stacked up in sharp drop offs and around flooded timber in 30 feet. Muskie action has turned to trolling large minnow baits in 10-18 feet. Plenty of waterfowl in area with local birds still around.