Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Walerak

15 hp Kicker Idles Too Fast

6 posts in this topic

My Mercury 15 hp 4 stroke kicker seems like it should be idleing at lower rpms, but the set screw for the idle is backed out all the way. Any one have any ideas on how to lower the idle a bit more?

mw

Is it a tiller or remote ?

If remote you can adjust cable controls from box.

If a tiller look inside the motor where the linkage for throttle connects to lever on motor, there should be a screw or adjustment for it.

Have you had a tach on it? What rpms does it idle at?

I have the same motor 2001 model. The book says 800 rpm if i remember right! I have always thought mine seem a little fast also. I had it in the shop for a jet cleaning. I was told that the jets clog easily and frequently by the shop. It does run better but still seems a tad fast. But by the tach it is right on!

It is a tiller and the screw on the linkage is the one that I have been playing with.

I was thinking there was another adjustment in the Carb. but maybe not.

Mike

There is a idle adjust screw under the hood on mine! It does not adjust the carb but it adjusts the throttle linkage stop. The farther out you adjust the slower it runs!

Is that the one you have played with? Mine is a tiller also!

Mike, what's your serial # I will try to see schematics from Mercury web site