Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

What happens if the Twins and Tigers tie for the divison title?

16 posts in this topic

What happens if the Twins and Tigers tie for the division title with identical records? Do they have a one game playoff or are their tie breaking rules like records against each other, record within the division, etc. that go into affect?

There are tie breakers and the Twins would lose that. They need to finish 1 game ahead of Detroit to win the division.

The Tigers need to start losing and we must win all games left.Doesnt look good with the games left for both,but who knows.

Post deleted by IFallsRon

The Tigers get the division if both teams tie. They only play the tie breaker game if it is for a playoff spot, since both the Twins and the Tigers have playoff spots they just use head-head records (at least this is what I have been hearing)

Quote:

The Tigers get the division if both teams tie. They only play the tie breaker game if it is for a playoff spot, since both the Twins and the Tigers have playoff spots they just use head-head records (at least this is what I have been hearing)

This is correct. My question is can divisional opponents play in the ALDS? Right now the Tigers are tied with the Yankees. If the Tigers pass the Yanks in the standings can we open against the Tigers?

I don't believe you can play a division opponent in the first round. I think at this piont it simply is a matter of which one of the teams gets the Yanks (wildcard) and which one gets the A's (division winner).

That's what I thought. I knew the wildcard team is suppose to play the better team, but thought they played #2 when #1 is in the same division.

The wild card team can never have home field no matter what the records. The wild card can not play their division in the ALDS. So, unless the Twins win the wild card they are either going to New York or Oakland. Hopefully they win out and the kitties lose 2 and the Twins take the central. It's possible, difficult but possible.

Just so were are clear here...if the Twins and Tigers tie for the Division title BOTH are AL Central Division Champions...... the Tigers win the playoff seeding because of a better head to head record against the Twins.... grin.gif

Quote:

The wild card team can never have home field no matter what the records.

Except when the Twins go to the World Series cause the National League can't win an All-Star game!!!!

I stand corrected.

The wild card cannot have the home field during the ALDS or ALCS.

If the TWins and Tigers tie for the Div title,, I do believe years from now that Tigers will be considered the DIV champ becasue of a better head-to-head winning %. That's also why they get the nod at playing the team with more losses.--- thou it's a disadvantage for the WC team--- they are in the playoffs and the only negative aspect is that they face the potential of a extra game on the road. Not a big deal. SEE Marlins of 03' REd sox of 04' and Angels of 02'. IF the WC team wins one on the road-- the tables have turned, and in my mind, this is a knock on the team that won their div, thou I don't see how you can do it any other way other than adding another WC team and have 2 WC teams playoff to play the Strongest div champ.

I think the Tigers lose agst Lilly and one game agst K.C,, so the twins have to win 4 outta 5 to win it outright.

We shall see.

Correction-

if the TWins win 4 of 5-- the Tigers need to go 2-3 for the Twins to win the DIv outright. Right???, becasue the Twins are really two back>???

To win the division the Twins need to be 1 ahead. So, they are really 1 back, kinda sorta.

Quote:

If the TWins and Tigers tie for the Div title,, I do believe years from now that Tigers will be considered the DIV champ becasue of a better head-to-head winning %.

Not by me, the Twins along with the Tigers will be listed as 2006 Central division champions and will have all the banners/alkaloids associated with being 2006 American league Central division champions.

Which of course makes sense being they both have the same record through out the 162 game season.