Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisherman-andy

Fireline wear & tear problems...

4 posts in this topic

I generally use 6lb test Berkley Fireline on spinning reels. Problem is after a few fish or so I noticed the line does stretch and it has worn tearings. I have to check it often otherwise the lure will just snap off the line when casting.

I expected this with regular mono-filament lines but not fireline. I checked the reels and rods for defects. If it wasn't for line strength i'd switch back. I've been hearing good things about the Gamma colpolymer lines and might try that.

Keep in mind that Gamma is a mono, not a braid.. So you really cant compare the 2 lines at all.. I use Gamma and love it for my mono applications.. But I still have a few rods that I use braid on. (I do however prefer Power Pro over fireline.)

Fireline is not a braid, but a bonded microfiber. It will fuzz up after some use. you will have to retie more often with Fireline than a true braid like Powerpro or Super Braid. Braided line and Fireline is very hard on rods and reels, especially some of the cheap stuff. There isn't any give at all in any of the lines, so the rod and reel are the shock absorbers.

Andy, I've never had that problem with FireLine, but I always use 8lb. or 10lb, & I've been using it for years. I suspect maybe you got a bad batch.

I had this problem with Power Pro as well, & although I know a lot of people like it & I probably just received a random crappy batch of line, it soured me on it. But unless there's something weak about the 6lb. line that would be my guess.