• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need Info For Oct 6th Trip

I have a place on Long and will be up for a week starting Oct 6th. I have had luck on the lake every spring and summer that I have been up. The two years that we have been up in Oct. has produced nothing. I know that the water temps are changing and have heard talk of the lake turning over. Does the cooler water move the Walleyes? Do the crappie move into shallows like after ice outs? What effect does the lake turning over have or is this something that happens later? I am obviously not up on the fishing this time of year. Just wondering if anyone could offer up some tips.

Long Lake just keeps getting better and better as you go into fall. I'd look for the walleyes still on the weedline 18 to 21 feet. Redtails are producing lots of walleyes this time of year. Use them on a lindy, or a jig. If the wind is not blowing, try hooking the redtail behind the dorsal fin, with the lindy, and let it set on the bottom. I spent alot of time out there 2 weeks ago. Using my auqaview, I found lots of cappies in 10-12 ft of water. See if that works for you.

the tulibees are also starting to stage for their spawn (fall spawner) so dont be afraid to troll big shad raps in 14 to 20 feet in addition to fishing redtail, i have a prefernce toward using jigs with redtails in the fall due in large part to falling water temps and the fact that redtails become very lathargic in cooler water. Jonah