• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

has this ever happened to you

mrjigger

I was hunting this evening on some state forest land. To my left about 40 yards away was the forest trail I used to get to my hunting location. The spot I was hunting is a narrow strip of pines maybe 50 yards wide that must have been logged off. At about 6:30 I see two very nice does approaching my stand from my left on the other side of the logged area. They were coming right at me, I had been waiting for this moment all afternoon. Once the deer got within range of me there was an opportunity to draw my bow back. Just as I go to draw my bow back, I hear the voice of a woman coming up the forest trail. She was walking her dogs. Of course both deer bolt like they had seen a ghost. It couldn't have been better(worse)timing. I know the does are not trophies to most hunters, but I am new to archery hunting and any deer I see is a trophy in my eyes. I realize she had no idea I was there, but talk about heartbreaking. I am trying to see the humor in this, but man is it hard. I guess thats the risk you take by hunting public land. Has anyone had a similar circumstance happen?

This is not that uncommon and it will ahppen again if you don't make a couple changes.

It was inevitable because you were hunting very close to a public trail AND you were on public land. Its the nature of the beast.

Now that you've seen where these deer came from, try setting up more than shooting distance from the road. The farther away you can get the more likely it will be to see deer instead of joggers.

Don't feel too bad man. I've had similar situations happen on private land that was close to public land. I had morel mushroom hunters, grouse hunters, and even once a snowmobilers venture into the property line. When they get close enough I, very politely, ask them if they know their on private land. Most are very suprised to hear a voice from the trees! Many are honest mistakes and some are repeat offenders. When hunting public land, like Powerstroke says, this is the nature of the beast. Getting a little deeper into the woods will eliminate a majority of this problem. Keep your chin up, their is a lot of season left. Good luck to you; arrow a good one!

also check in what direction they bolted and set up along those areas and away from the path they are obviously heading in a direction they think its safe for them so maybe if you set up in their SAFE AREA and they get spooked or need to relax they will head there and there you will be

this happened to one of my friends just on Sat night, he placed his stand where he had seen a nice buck before, then sat night he saw the buck again walking right towards him, perfect wind. then he started to hear a guy with his dogs on a nearby walking trail and then the buck bolted off. I laughed at him

Last fall I was rifle hunting a gravel-pit off of a road and this lady comes down and lets her dogs chase the deer that are in the process of coming to the pit. mad.gifmad.gifI was mad. She knows that is our land and we have told her many times to keep the dogs on a leash.

I must hunt some very remote places as I have no stories to share.Just myself and the little critters in the woods.

I hunt near a snowmobil trail, which is block off til the snow flies. and i walked out to my stand only to find it was stolen. so now i keep at least 100yd off the trail. another time on a different stand i had some one take my four screw in steps. i guess someone didnt want me hunting there. but i do i just take my bottom four steps with me now.

good tips and stories, It took me a day, but I have found the humor in situation. Next time out, I will go deeper into the woods. At work we have these signs we hang on office doors that say "conference call in session" kind of wish I had one I could hang near the trail entrance that says "do not disturb, hunt in session" smile.gif

When you find a sign like that I will buy about 50 of them from you so I can hang them around the perimeter of my hunting area

walleyeguy,

there is a law that states that any dogs chasing game can be shot you wouldnt have to worry about her dogs being on a leash anymore grin.gif

Only game wardens/peace officers can shoot dogs chasing deer year round. The only time you and I can legally do that is in the winter/spring time, I don't have the exact dates handy. Just the threat of it though would probably keep the dogs leashed.

Yes, but then what happens if her dog disappears & you had nothing to do with it? You're a likely suspect because you threatened her. We've had this conversation around our property & decided we'd tell them to keep their dogs home. We won't tell them the other part, but if they keep them home there'll be no other part.

If the problem doesn't go away, the problem "will" go away.

I've had problems with the neighbors dogs running thru my place the last two years, been over there twice and talked to them, "yep, they'll keep them tied up". At this point the hole that I was digging rocks out of is still open, waiting for its new occupants.

We also have to think of who we are punishing when we go after the dog. Do we punish the dog, because the owner did not train it? Is it the dogs fault? The dog doesn't know any better.

I'd say you kindly ask the person to watch there dogs more carefully and if the incident repeats, then call the CO.

Just my 2 cents.

I face this on a regular basis and take it into account with hunting on our land and WMAs that are near the general public.

In the case of my land, I'm guarenteed to see some free range country dogs roaming through at least half a dozen times a season and have been at full draw a few times before letting down when I saw fido step out into the trail. A big dog sounds a lot like a deer stepping through the leaves.

I also have four wheelers who tear through the neighbor's property not more than a hundred yards from where a few of my stands are. They do this on pretty much a nightly basis. I have permission to hunt the neighbor's hence my close proximity, but the four wheelers don't have permission to ride there. But the neighbor could care less so I live with it. I find the deer still come through. They just wait for them to leave before moving again.

But back to the dogs. They definitely influence movement. More than a few times I have heard barking from a a few places over and a several minutes the deer come moving hurriedly through.

You're right, its not the dogs fault, they're just doing what comes natural. But the problem has to be dealt with or your deer hunting is ruined. And nine times out of ten, you only have problems with dogs running when they have more than one. My problem neighbors dog was not a problem - until he took in another dog.

Agreed on it not being the dog's fault. And that one dog isn't a problem. Most of the neighbors dogs do stay close to their places and the ones I get tromping through the woods usually look like they're just out for a stroll. I think the deer usually do a good job of spotting them first and letting them pass but if its the other way around, the dog usually just barks at the deer and shows a little bravado typical of a smart dog that knows there's a meal waiting for him at home. I acutally have fun with the dogs. Making noises or throwing small rocks near them. They get pretty puzzled and worked up.