• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Back to mappin that network again...

LwnmwnMan2

Question

Okay... figured out what my problem was after sitting on my butt for 12 hours today mowing the senior high for the local school district.

Anyways, I never setup my folder for sharing. blush.gif

I've got that covered, now, do I need to map all computers to the same network drive?? Or is it just for ease when I access it from the "remote" computers??

I'm trying to map the drive on the host computer, but it doesn't show the shared file like the other 2.

13 answers to this question

Pretty much just for ease. You can always get to your shared folders through the network neighborhood icon, but if you map a drive it will show in my computer or you could put a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Some software likes to have a drive mapped, especially bookeeping software. You still haven't said which software you are using.

I'm running Peachtree Complete Accounting

I know, I know... I've been told many times that I should use Quickbooks, but this is what my accountant uses, so I figure if I ever get in a sticky wicket, that it would be easy for him to figure out.

Quote:

Anyways, I never setup my folder for sharing.
blush.gif

That will get you a big Homer Simpson DOH !!! LOL !

PEACHTREE !! well that will get you a big MN ISHTA! but anyway, I don't know how the newer versions are but I use to deal with an older version and it was fussy about the network drive, that had to be the same but like I said, that was an older version.

Mike

Quote:

Quote:

Anyways, I never setup my folder for sharing.
blush.gif

That will get you a big Homer Simpson DOH !!! LOL !

PEACHTREE !! well that will get you a big MN ISHTA! but anyway, I don't know how the newer versions are but I use to deal with an older version and it was fussy about the network drive, that had to be the same but like I said, that was an older version.

Mike

Correct, which is one reason why I'm trying to upgrade to 2007 from 2003 version.

It would also help if their customer service would run hours not just during normal business hours when I'm running my business, but if I'd have access to them, when I'm doing my computer / paperwork at 11 pm.... confused.gif

I asked since I run Peachtree too and I can guarantee you it's much better than Quickbooks.

I had many problems with businesses running QB and even my wife agreed she doesn't know how come many people like it.

Anyway, yes Peachtree wants mapped drives, I mapped mine P: and I use Complete Accounting from 3 computers being 1 (my wife's) the server.

Beware if you don't have the multiuser version you cannot open it on 3 computers simultaneously, it has to be 1 at the time.

Valv -

Yes, I realized I needed the multi user, but my main goal right now is to get it set up where my mom (retiring, lives next door) is going to start to take on some of my paperwork, since we have 2 boys (4, 1) and my wife just isn't TOTALLY into it right now.

Basically, my mom can now enter receipts, invoices, the such while I'm at work, so there'll only be one person at a time on the program.

I just couldn't justify paying the $600 or so right now to be able to run them all at the same time, I don't mow THAT many lawns. grin.gif

I sent an email to Peachtree last night, stating that they need "after business hours" support, live support, not just a glorified FAQ page.

Quote:

I just couldn't justify paying the $600 or so right now to be able to run them all at the same time, I don't mow THAT many lawns.
grin.gif

Yeah right...I know some landscaper people on this forum and they just need 2 or 3 customers to be happy.... grin.gif

Anyway, I wish you were closer, I would do it for you.

All I did is to enable file sharing on all computers but share only the Peachtree folder.

Start a system, lookup My Net places, see "server computer", right click on shared folder and mapped drive as P: with reconnect at logon.

I have all my systems on wireless network including 1 laptop, all with XP home.

I have standard Windows Firewall and Norton Antivirus, on a Linksys router, it's a very basic and simple setup.

Be sure though to have server booted up before all the others.

I installed Peach. as a standalone on each station, then I open the company I need on P: drive.

I also share my laser printer for all the 3 systems.

I agree on customer support, for what we pay for this software they should have a 24hr service, but beware it might NOT speak a language you can understand.... grin.gif

Okay, I've got it all working, but now if I type an invoice on the laptop, and then go to the desktop (server), it doesn't show up in any of the reports?? I'm sure this means that I've got the data going to the wrong place on the desktop, but I can access all of the data on the laptop....

You have to open the company that is loaded on the server.

From laptop click on File, then Open Company and be sure to point to the P: drive

I don't think you can keep both computers with same company open at same time, since it's not multiuser, you will have to write an invoice with laptop, close program, open it on server and see the invoice you just wrote.

Valv -

I was doing that, closing the one out, then opening it on the other computer... but it wouldn't show up.

I would have it loaded up so that the company would automatically open when I started Peachtree.

I tried opening a new company on the server, and opened it from the file drop down, and low and behold, everything showed up!!

Guess I finally got everything working.

Thanks for your help Valv!!!

It does the same issue to me too, if I open from the previous company I get a "local" (my computer) file.

I have to use the "full-pain-in-the-@#$%" drop down menu procedure and it works fine.

Another issue DO NOT forget to change your accounting period every month....I always forget and for 3 days I print invoices with the 1st day of previous month....it makes me soooo mad mad.gif

Anyway, I am glad it worked out, I can halp you with the software but don't ask me about bookeeping grin.gifmad.gif

Valv -

Yes, I forget the accounting period change too, until I'm into 3-4 invoices. It isn't TOO big of a deal, other than my sales tax then gets filed in the wrong period.

When I first started my business I wasn't aware that you had to collect sales tax for lawn care, figured it was just a labor charge. Ended up paying back sales tax for almost 5 years of work, now I pay in monthly, so it's not such a big check every quarter.

Anyways, I was online with Peachtree this morning, and figured out that I was running a different version of my company on my server, that's why it wasn't coming up on that computer what I did on my workstation.

I got all the paths right, and now it works just fine. Even got the printer set up while I was on hold.

Now I can type out invoices in bed, or watch the local sports teams, without having to sit in my office.....

Thanks again for your help!!