Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
53orbigger

Turnover Soon?

13 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can give me an updated water temp or tell me if the lake is close to turning over. I have a trip planned for this weekend, but would reschedule if the lake is in the process of turning over. Any and all information appreciated.

Thanks

53orbigger thats all I ask!

Surface water temps are running in the mid to upper 50's this week. Colder weather is predicted for the rest of the week. Turnover has not occured yet.

Cliff

Thanks for the update Cliff! Looks like we might be able to sneak this trip in before turnover.

53orbigger

I think that the lake may have started to turn over on Sat. afternoon. The walleye bite slowed down and I caught a few scattered fish as deep as 49 feet yesterday.

Average Big Bay temp. was 55 degrees all day yesterday.

Cliff

How does turnover affect fishing? How long does that last? Heading up in 6 days...will effect be over?

Cliff, I agree, I do believe it was starting to turnover. I was getting hits at 50 fow when I was in the area that we saw each other later Sunday morning. That one bonus fish made it all worth while. Would have like to seen the other one that broke me off. See you soon I'm sure. Kind of sad on Sunday I had to pull the boats out so they can remove my boat lifts. The Crestliner is still there, who knows I may get the bug to run back up. Work stuff can always wait, as it will be there when I get back in town. Later Darrell.

Quote:

How does turnover affect fishing? How long does that last? Heading up in 6 days...will effect be over?

The turnover does not have a long lasting affect on the fall bite.

They should be biting very good again by the time you get up.

Cliff

I agree on the turnover. Things really slowed over the weekend, but today the bite was really on good. All of our fish were from 46 -50 FOW. The biggies were on also.

Doug

You know anything about a cabin for sale? It is on the Bic site. Looks like it is down on the far west end of head o lakes bay.

Just curious.

Hi This is my first post though I've looked at this site for a long time. Any way I'm heading up to Vermilion in the morning& staying for 3 or 4 days . Any tips for me would be greatly appreciated.I've fished the lake alot but never right after turnover Thanks

Roger f,

Welcome to FM and the Vermilion Forum! laugh.gif

If you are fishing the East end, look for deep basin holes up to 60 feet deep and work your way down into them SLOWLY with a jig and minnow.When you get a walleye work that general depth until the bite quits then start searching again.

If the deepest hole in the bay you are fishing is only 30 feet deep work it the same way!

Good fishing!

Cliff

ive been fishing about the same as cliff....use at least a three eights ounce jig and minnow....stay as vertical as possible....sometimes a lindy will do you well also ...say if its windy....but the fall bite is in full swing!!!!the depths will very....from shallow to deep....seems whereever there is baitfish there is going to be eyes!!