• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just curious if anybody is still catching channel cats around Forks?

I've fished them well into Sept. but not October. I'll be up shooting stuff and figured there is no better way to spend an afternoon than channel cattin.

Channels are going nuts in the cities now so I'm thinking they are probably on a good bite up north too. Ya just don't hear much about it though.

Anyone?

It's rare to see another boat on the Red north of Forks for a few weeks now. I've been going out regularly and getting some decent fish every time out. I feel like I have the river to myself every time out and I love it. I wouldn't call it a really hot fall bite, but it's acceptable. It is quite different than last fall with more smaller fish mixed in and not all big fish. I've been using nothing but suckers lately and they've worked for me.

This weekend Shannon.

I've got a buddy from college coming up to duck hunt around Mentor/Erskine with me. We normally hunt until 10am and then quit. Since you can't hunt after 4pm yet, might as well go fishing, eh?

My plan is to pull the "new" boat up and launch in GF. Was thinking of heading south but am not opposed to going north either. Kitties are everywhere! smile.gif

He doesn't know I'm thinking of fishing yet so plans aren't set in stone. But right now, I would say it fits in the schedule Sat. afternoon to evening.

I've still got some Goldeye in the freezer and Shad are plentiful down here now. No kermits though.

What do you mean he doesn't know you plan on fishing, he should expect it! Have you even unhooked the trailer from your truck since you got the boat?

I have a parade I have to drive in this weekend in Middle River for the radio station, grrr.... If I'm able to get away, I'll give you a call Saturday afternoon and see what your doing. Otherwise have fun, and be sure to post how you did.

Yah, the south side would be the better side as far as safe sailing goes and there are just as many fish present. Good luck.

I think duck hunting would be pretty fun, I should try it sometime, but I highly doubt I would ever hit anything! I have a hard time hitting something sitting still...flying over my head, yah right! grin.gif I think I'll just stick to fishing.

I am off this weekend too..When I was out exploring last week I scanned a large gathering of fish in a certin spot and I am dying to get over there and check it out... I just dont know if I can handle getting the boat dirty again.. I just got it all cleaned up for sale, then we had that river rescue and it got all dirty again, so I cleaned it up once again.. then went skull hunting and really got it a mess.. This time I scrubed it up real good for a couple fellas interested in the Machine. Hate to see it go.. frown.gif

Hoping to get a new rig in the spring. I need to go bigger and put in that Opti. I need more room for the search and rescue part of it and clients. I am not only doing guiding but search and rescue and river tours now too.

'Spose you guys want a report now too! grin.gif

Didn't get on the water until around 3pm on Saturday and headed south. Was greeted right away to floating leaves, branches, small sticks and logs. Fun!

We passed one boat and chatted with them. They had caught 4 cats already with one of them being a 38" on a goldeye head. What a piggie!

We fished 3 different spots which were all similar. Sort of the tail end of the hole where it transitions to a short run on the outside bend. These "areas" seamed to be holding more fish on the graph than anywhere else.

The fish were there but were very picky. Every spot we fished had light biters and taps on every rod but getting one to really take the bait was tough.

We ended up with 3 cats all under 10lbs and missed another 3 or 4 good bites where the rod was completely loaded in the holder but couldn't get the rod out in time before losing the fish. Oh well.

We fished with cut sucker, goldeye, and shad and the sucker sure seamed to be garnering the most interest from the cats.

Oh well, beautiful night on the river and I only cracked 2 logs with the boat. She still floats! LOL! smile.gif

Well, you didn't slaughter them, but it was a great day to be out anyways. Plus you got to see how well your boat handles logs! grin.gif Glad to hear you atleast caught a few fish.

I ended up sitting at the hospital with my buddy after he broke his wrist riding a 4-wheeler this weekend, so I wasn't able to go fishing, but I am going fishing next weekend. I was thinking about going to the Rainy River/LOW area to chase some eyes or head to Pembina and really challenge myself late in the season. One thing that would be fun about going to Pembina...I could look for skulls like Rusty's been doing! grin.gif

We'll see...Talk to ya'll later.