Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrollerX

It's On!

8 posts in this topic

Water is 62-63 degrees and falling fast. Sunday was a great day to be on the river! The fall is here and the bite is on. Much better fishing than the last month. It isn't quite jig/minnow time yet though. Only good things to come in the next few weeks. Maybe, we will still be soft water fishing the Croix in December this year!

Can't wait to get back on the river... seems I have out-of-town activities every weekend this time of year (REALLY SUCKS as it sounds like this is the best time to get out there...).

I may try to get out Thursday night after work (I'm out of town AGAIN Friday/Saturday mad.gif) and maybe again on Sunday.

Should I bring three-ways with raps and/or bottom-bouncers with spinners along with jigs? What type of cranks work best out there this time of year?

Fish are shallow early in the morning and move deeper when the sun comes up (If it does). I would opt to long line in 14-18 feet with a Tail Dancer or other wobbler. I understand that spinner rigs and crawlers are still taking fish. Not my favorite method but is effective. Three way trolling is ok but tough to do well in shallower water. In the summer, when trolling deep is preferred, three way is the ticket. Just my opinion! Good luck - Two - Three weeks from jig time!

I'm looking forward to getting back on the river early this weekend, the lake fishing was good but river fishing is by far my favorite place to fish and coming in to this time of year, you can't beat the river for fish quanity and quality in the fall, remember release the eyes over 19 to keep the fishery going strong! cool.gif

Well, I was out Wednesday trolling Catfish Bar. Only a few boats out, the gentleman I spoke with said he was doing well. That drove me nuts! I was workin lead core-three way-live bait with lindy's (very wimpy minnows though) with nothin! I saw this same getleman almost get run over by one of those sight seeing cruise ships. Very poor driving on the part of the captain(of the cruise ship that is)our man was just trollin the bar when this bozo heads right at him...anyhow that was the most action I saw. I'll be spending some more money this weekend on a better assortment of artifcial's. Rapala'-whatever...I'll be out this weekend really can't wait. I've had good uck in the fall so I was stumped by the lack of activity. Cold front did move through Wednesday but I know their were fish there. Saw them on the graph, saw the other boat pulling a few in...Anyhow, here's my question. As far as presentation goes I'll be trying artificial this weekend. Bigger lures a variety of colors. Fire Tiger raps, orage, yellow, you name it. Any preferred colors you guys like to use. Confidence is key and the last couple of outtings have been grim. I'm desperate somebody throw me a bone! I also know the prescott area can be productive. All right enough bellyachin.. Me and the little lady had a blast Wednesday, but daddy needs to catch ome fish.

See ya on the river...

Sounds like you may have been a little pre-occupied in the rig with the little lady!! River fishing takes comlete concentration. Try using a Perch colered Shad rap in the #8 or #9 variety. Another good choice this time of year is a Perch or Green/White Tail Dancer. You have to make some noise with a heavy wobble this time of year. Another key is to vary the speed of your troll frequently. If you are using your rod holder -stop! A little more or less speed will help a ton. It is tough to over troll this time of year. You can move fairly fast on a troll. IF you are not right off the bottom you can troll all day and catch nothing. If you are three way trolling - don't drag your weight on the bottom but make sure you lift and drop regularly so you know where the bottom is. There is alot of structure in the river and you have to account for it.

Prescott will be turning on in a week or so. I will be there Sunday morning early to check water temps. You have to get to the low 50's before that bite really starts. When it does, drop your bow mount, tie up a 1/4 oz. yellow jig head with a blood red hook and get 2 scoops of fatties and a bag of Red Man! Let the fun begin baby!

Good Luck - If you are out on sunday morning early look for the lights cutting through the darkness! See you on the water!

Reading all of this is making me very depressed. I was hoping to start off the month of Oct. tomorrow by hittin up the river for what may be the begining of the fall bite, plus the weather is supposed to be beautiful. But I got my truck in pieces in the garage, new parts goin on. I was hoping to finish it tonite and get out tomorrow but it aint happenin. Maybe, possibly I might make it for the evening. Or maybe I will try hookin the Cresty up to my Integra, ...or not. I could always just stand at the launch and look pathetic and hope someone picks me up.

Anyways I should be puttin stuff back together instead of writin right now so good luck to yas, I wish I was one of you luck ones out there tomorrow.

I was on the river early this morning, took over a hour to get the first eye, then another and another and another and didn't get any more the rest of the day, did however catch a couple nice smallies to release. What a great day to be on the water, even had the wife in the boat for awhile. The sunrise this morning "O"man, the sun coming up, the fog lifting, the glow on the fall colors, God makes the best images!