• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

best deer decoy

Scoot

I'm looking to get a new deer decoy. The one I've used in the past is just a nice looking 3-D target (and it's worked very well for me at times). I'd like to get a decoy that has removable antlers, looks lifelike, and allows for a tail-wagger to be added on.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I use a carrylite decoy and it seems to do the job. Ive had some hogs come right up to it and hit it. I dont think they make any decoy look "lifelike" except those Montana silohettes, but during the rut the deer dont care. Its seems if they are in the mood anything resembleing a deer will work.

This decoy the antlers and ears and tail come off. I usualy hang a piece of unscented toilet paper at the tail. The slightest wind will blow it around and you can scent the tp without scenting up the decoy itself.

The downside is its hollow plastic. Lightweight yes, but try walking trough the woods with it on a cold fall morning in the dark and every little stick that touches it echos through the whole woods, and the main body is way to noisy to assemble before you hunt.

If you can get to your spot quietly, its a great decoy. I wouldnt worry about the looks too much.

I cannot remember the name of my decoy/target that I use. I have horns that also attatch for use as a buck.

When using it as a decoy I place a old sock and staple it to the deer rump and also use scent on the sock.I dont believe you need the waging tail to attract any deer.

I have useed this many times and usually the deer will come to it but are pretty carefull when they approach.

This decoy is the solid type with the replaceable center for target shooting.

It works.