Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cylinder

turnover?

12 posts in this topic

I've been gone for a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me what's going on with water temps/turnover?

Was up this weekend on Potato and the temps were holding at about 57-59.

My son was out Friday & saw the thermocline in the depthfinder; it was gone Saturday though. I went out Sun & Mon for a while. I got 3 eater walleyes & a few northern. Everything quit biting for me after 4:30 pm both days except the sunnies & rock bass. Water really didn't look murky, but maybe not as clear as usual.

Loons are gone except for the young ones-- I've always wondered how they find their way to where they're supposed to go without the older loons to show them the way.

Quote:

Loons are gone except for the young ones-- I've always wondered how they find their way to where they're supposed to go without the older loons to show them the way.

Thanks for the reminder. That was another disappointment in my 9/9-16 vacation to 8th Crow Wing. Being from Omaha, I always enjoyed hearing the loons.

One year, in one of the channels between the lakes, happened upon an adult (mom?) loon with the babies on her back. We were close enough to have touched them... man, what a treat that was!!!! grin.gif

But this year, not only did we not SEE one/any, I don't even remember HEARING one!! confused.giffrown.gif

We're up on 11th on summer weekends. The adults can start leaving as early as mid to late August. Sorry you missed them. I think the loons are half of the reason my wife loves going up there so often.

I was at a family renunion during the summer on the Whitefish chain. It was insanely hot that weekend and I was waterskiing behind our boat. I was busy looking around at the loons not paying attention to what I was doing. SMACK, I buried a tip in the wake. After bobbing around on the surface for 2 or 3 seconds I found myself surrounded by loons in the water. They were all singing along beautifully, and didn't seem to care I was a mere 5 feet from them. Great experience!

Quote:

I think the loons are half of the reason my wife loves going up there so often.

After bobbing around on the surface for 2 or 3 seconds I found myself surrounded by loons in the water. They were all singing along beautifully, and didn't seem to care I was a mere 5 feet from them. Great experience!

Boy, what a TREAT that would have been!!! grin.gif

So they usually leave mid-August, huh? That would explain their absence... I wasn't so much attributing their absence to "8th Crow Wing", as much as we - like your wife - really enjoy that aspect of our Minnesota vacations.

Might just have to start visiting earlier!! wink.gif

Thanks for the info...

As early as mid August, usually later. But I suppose it depends on the conditions. Maybe when the eggs were hatched and when the juveniles are ready to fend for themselves? The MN DNR probably has better info.

Speaking of which, have the lakes turned over yet? I haven't been up there since 9/16 and won't get there for the next weekend (last trip up for year). I'd like to get some good fall fishing in to distract me from all the work we have to get done.

Hey guys, regarding the adult loons flying south early... From what I know loons go into their eclipse plumage and all look the same in the fall, brown. So the loons you see now are females, males, and juveniles. If you've duck hunted early season you know that the hen and drake mallards look very similiar.

Tippman, can you point me to some info on that? What I've read and was told, loons can't do the molting thing till after the migration south-- not enough time in the season for it along with nesting, breeding, raising young, etc, in the MN and Canada summers.

Here was the first web site I searched to give you an address...http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/animals/loon/lnfly.html

It's halfway down the page. I'm sure there are many others, probably more official as well. The moulting was something that I just learned from talking with others and my own experiences.

Brian

I notice you use the Canadian/British spelling of 'molt'-- you from Canada?

You learn something every day. I didn't know they started molting during late summer. I did find that they don't lose their flight feathers though, and continue molting during migration. The main molting (where they're flightless) happens in late winter before the northern migration.

http://www.northland.edu/Northland/Soei/Programs/LoonWatch/AboutLoons/LoonID.htm

Nope, from cental MN. Guess I was just spelling it wrong.