Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GottaGo

Fly Rod Durability

12 posts in this topic

I'm still a newbie to fly fishing, I've probably been doing it for about a year and a half. So far, I've been having a blast with every aspect of it, from the actual fishing to tying flies, but I have been running into a problem. I started by buying a beginners combo with rod, reel, and line, but since I've got the rod, I've already broke it 3 times. The customer service is great and they keep sending me new rods, but I don't think this is normal. I've been fishing for close to 20 yrs and don't think I'm that rough on rods. Twice it broke while I was holding it in my hand and once while trying while trying to get my fly out of a tree. Are fly rods really that much easier to break than spinning gear? or do I just need to find a different rod confused.gif?

I have 5 different rods of various manufacturers blanks and have never broken a rod using it. Just broke 1 in a car door once (ouch).

What kind of rod is this? Do you store the rod in a tube?

Same as Iceshack, here. The only time I've broken a fly rod was by losing a battle with the infamous "Slamming Door Fish".

Get a rod tube. Some allow you to keep your reel attached, which is nice if you are searching/covering a lot of water.

Going with a company that has a lifetime warranty is also a good idea. I had a rod for the past 4 years and had no problems with it and 3 hours into a trip it broke in the middle of a cast. Bummer! Well I sent it in and had a new rod in my hands within a week. I own all St. Croix and Winston fly rods because they make great rods and have great customer service.

This is a Scientific Angler rod. Like I said, they do replace it for free, but I still have to send it in for them to fix it and it takes 3-4 weeks to get it back. I don't keep it in a tube, but all of the times it has broke it has been while fishing with it. Maybe I need to look for a new rod.

what is the st.croix warranty like? is it limited to manufacter default or does it cover your own mistakes?

it does cover your own mistakes (like closing a car door on it)

but different St Croix models have different warranties. Some are lifetime, some are 5 yrs, some are 1 yr. There may also be restrictions if you are not the original owner (buy it used).

Models from Avid and up have the lifetime warranty and they are pretty liberal towards their warranty card policy. If you break one, call them and they will take care of it.

im planning on getting a st.croix reign and in the description it says LIMITED lifetime waranty. i thinks it partains to only their product screw-ups. nothing a little white lie cant fix wink.gif

Never had any experience with Scientific Angler rods. There are many good rods out there warranty or not. The reason I asked if you store it in a tube is that rods are subject to "bruising". Meaning the can take a sharp hit and still look fine but the minute you set the hook or flex it hard casting it snaps. This will happen casting a fly rod more than others because a fly rod gets flexed while casting more. Fly rods don't break more because they are fragile, they break more because of how they get tranported making them more susceptible to getting hit.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

An errant cast with a bugger or clouser can make for an unpleasant casting experience (broken rod) if those big flies manage to knick at all.

iceshack,

You make a good point that I probably would have never thought of. I'll have to pick up a tube and see if that can stop me from breaking rods. Thanks for the tips

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~

Posted

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there. :(

• easyrider25

Posted

Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

• papadarv

Posted

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own.

2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one.

http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/

• SpecialK

Posted

They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.

• the weather has not been good this past week either, but fishing was still do able. Pike island is a popular spot and I am sure you can find fish there. Gold is. would be worth a try as would the area around the wolf pack. We had 4 nice walleye today and a great fish fry tonight. Heading home in the morning for the season. so good luck

• I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes

• delcecchi

Posted

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

• delcecchi

Posted

On 9/13/2016 at 4:37 PM, loadmaster said:

Well, got out of the hospital and rehab a couple of weeks ago, Its been a long haul went in on Feb 15, with some massive heart attacks.   Starting to feel better and have hit Fish a couple of times.  Thought I would check out the site and see if traffic has picked up,  Sorry to say not much different, a lot of lookers as usual and not a lot of posters

Been there and done that.... Not the site but the hospital etc

• certified jumbo

Posted

In northwest Wisconsin 26 hunting dogs have already been killed this late summer.   Already breaking the record of 23.  Be careful in the northland.

• leech~~
      Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there.
    • easyrider25
      Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down!  This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 
    • papadarv
      Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own. 2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one. http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/
    • SpecialK
      They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.