Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GottaGo

Fly Rod Durability

12 posts in this topic

I'm still a newbie to fly fishing, I've probably been doing it for about a year and a half. So far, I've been having a blast with every aspect of it, from the actual fishing to tying flies, but I have been running into a problem. I started by buying a beginners combo with rod, reel, and line, but since I've got the rod, I've already broke it 3 times. The customer service is great and they keep sending me new rods, but I don't think this is normal. I've been fishing for close to 20 yrs and don't think I'm that rough on rods. Twice it broke while I was holding it in my hand and once while trying while trying to get my fly out of a tree. Are fly rods really that much easier to break than spinning gear? or do I just need to find a different rod confused.gif?

I have 5 different rods of various manufacturers blanks and have never broken a rod using it. Just broke 1 in a car door once (ouch).

What kind of rod is this? Do you store the rod in a tube?

Same as Iceshack, here. The only time I've broken a fly rod was by losing a battle with the infamous "Slamming Door Fish".

Get a rod tube. Some allow you to keep your reel attached, which is nice if you are searching/covering a lot of water.

Going with a company that has a lifetime warranty is also a good idea. I had a rod for the past 4 years and had no problems with it and 3 hours into a trip it broke in the middle of a cast. Bummer! Well I sent it in and had a new rod in my hands within a week. I own all St. Croix and Winston fly rods because they make great rods and have great customer service.

This is a Scientific Angler rod. Like I said, they do replace it for free, but I still have to send it in for them to fix it and it takes 3-4 weeks to get it back. I don't keep it in a tube, but all of the times it has broke it has been while fishing with it. Maybe I need to look for a new rod.

what is the st.croix warranty like? is it limited to manufacter default or does it cover your own mistakes?

it does cover your own mistakes (like closing a car door on it)

but different St Croix models have different warranties. Some are lifetime, some are 5 yrs, some are 1 yr. There may also be restrictions if you are not the original owner (buy it used).

Models from Avid and up have the lifetime warranty and they are pretty liberal towards their warranty card policy. If you break one, call them and they will take care of it.

im planning on getting a st.croix reign and in the description it says LIMITED lifetime waranty. i thinks it partains to only their product screw-ups. nothing a little white lie cant fix wink.gif

Never had any experience with Scientific Angler rods. There are many good rods out there warranty or not. The reason I asked if you store it in a tube is that rods are subject to "bruising". Meaning the can take a sharp hit and still look fine but the minute you set the hook or flex it hard casting it snaps. This will happen casting a fly rod more than others because a fly rod gets flexed while casting more. Fly rods don't break more because they are fragile, they break more because of how they get tranported making them more susceptible to getting hit.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

An errant cast with a bugger or clouser can make for an unpleasant casting experience (broken rod) if those big flies manage to knick at all.

iceshack,

You make a good point that I probably would have never thought of. I'll have to pick up a tube and see if that can stop me from breaking rods. Thanks for the tips