• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Swan Lake @ Nicollet

The_Duckslayer

I have heard that not only it this lake low you have to go 40 yards out from the landing to get to the water. Can any one verify that? 40 yards is a long way to carry a boat! Thanks in advance. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././JImbo

swan lake is pretty much going to be unhuntible this year by boat, unless you have a Otter stealth or canoe, etc. I've stopped out there a couple of times at the South Public access, from there it would be quite a walk to get to some good water, but right by the access it only about a 2ft. wide stream at the moment!!

FYI guys I know a guy that took his 12' boat out of the south access last sat and only had to push about 100 yards then was able to start his 6.5 motor and went for about a 2 hours cruse on the lake. He said there are spots that you can not get to but you can still hunt it.

Froggy

Personnaly I would go and look for yourself and not take others opinions on the situation if it is huntable or not. If you are ambitious, in shape and have a watercraft suitable for the situation it may be some of the best shooting of your life. If you are 50 lbs. over weight, have a 16 foot non shallow draft boat with an outboard it may be difficult to deadly. What I am saying is you decide and not take cyber scouts word for it. People that are trying to keep you away are the ones that are going to be out there.

Quote:

Personnaly I would go and look for yourself and not take others opinions on the situation if it is huntable or not.

Yeah well if I had the time to do that I certainly would! Barely have time to change my mind these days and I can not get there before sundown tween now and the opener. I would certainly hope that the folks that post here are a bit more reliable than the third party grapevine that I have heard. Thanks for the responses guys... think that I will go to the river, even the duck boat that I have is too heavy for two guys to carry through a bunch of muck to find water. I have only ever gone in on the north landing and would not know where to go off of the south one. Have a good one! Remember ALWAYS KEEP THE BARREL POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!

Good luck to one and all this weekend!

Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Sorry I ruffled your feathers, I was just trying to be down to earth with my response that it is up to each individual and their style of hunting rig if it is huntable. I have launched my 14'x48" jon boat/mudbuddy into sloughs with no more than a road ditch for an access and had good luck where as some one with a 18' Lund Alaskan with a 40 horse outboard would not be able to go and vice versa I would not go out to Leech Lake with white caps to hunt divers with my rig.

Browndog... no feathers ruffled! Just wish that I was not so dang busy at work and would have a chance to get out there and look for myself. I have a 17Ft Lowe Big Jon with a 60HP Evinrude on it for the big lakes and a 12 foot fiberglass duck boat for the small ones. Think that I will opt for the river backwaters for the opener, my nephew knows of a good spot but trouble is you have to get there by midnight to claim it. In the olden days that was a reason for a small party. Now that I am, shall we say more mature, it’s a back ache for the next day sleeping sitting up in a 12Ft duck boat. No harm no fowl... take care and N Joy the Hunt. Good luck on the opener!/./Jimbo