• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help Rust!

Fishin Beast

I store all of my guns (5) in cases in my bedroom. I keep them there because of a gf and so they are not laying out.

I ALWAYS clean the guns off with gun cleaner/rust protectant and dry them off after using them or even bringing them out to look at them.

I checked them out yesterday and all of them had light rust on them. The only sad thing is where the rust was you can see little spots in the metal.

What do I do?

Sorry I am a newbie with guns and hunting but I atleast figured they would be safe in the cases after cleaning them.

My only thought was to make a gun case to hang them somewhere in the house. Right now they are laying up against my fishing rod rack.

It is very difficult to prevent rust on guns stored in a case. They hold and even attract moister. Clean and oil them then store them in a safe open environment like a cabinet or closet,safe etc.

Beast - the padded cases are a magnet to moisture, if you store them in these type of cases always leave the zipper open about a third of the way so it can breathe. A relatively inexpensive solution is to use the silicone impegnated gun socks to store, and the cases only to travel with. Or a gun cabinet - Stack On brand makes the one that I've got, sheet metal with a simple lock. Seems like it was around $150 or so, and it holds eight guns and a few pistols. Put some dessicant bags in the thing and forget about it. I've also seen brick like deals that change color when they are 'full' of moisture letting you know to dry it out in the oven and reuse.

Don't feel too bad, everyone has either done this or knows someone who has... blush.gif

For now; Clean them with WD40 to remove the rust. Then clean and oil them.

Then try products with "Rust Inhibitor". It really does work.

/Better yet, buy a safe with a Goldenrod or dessicant.

If you left the guns cased for quite a few months the cleaner and rust proof you used might very well have dried up or been absorbed. One thing you can do is clean them more than just the once a year thing. Bring them out and wipe them down every few months. The Hoppes #9 nitro solvent works well too. I use old flannel shirt parts and wipe them down and then leave the cloth around the receiver to give it lasting protection.

Even so it does happen. frown.gif

That brings back memories. I had been out hunting grouse one year about 20 years back and had cased my gun in a fleece lined case. I had put it in the back of my pickup topper and forgot it was in there. About a week later I found it and had to peel the fleece off the metal. It had totally rusted right to the fleece. What a mess. I ended up taking it to a gun smith and he filed the barrel down and reblued it for me. It never did get totally repaired because some of the rust pits were too deep to remove completely. He said it was almost to the point that the barrel could have been dangerous if the pits were any deeper. Learned my lesson that time.

Bob

I wonder what would happen if you put some of those old fresh packets you get in a bag of beef jerky? Don't those keep things fresh?

there is a product your supposed to be able to put in the barrel tip and it is supposed to help with rust. They brag it up in the commercials.

Take some remington oil and #003 or #004 steel wool the very fine stuff. Put some oil on the gun and take the steel wool and go over the gun bluing. What the steel wool does is take that little big out rust off and makes a nice finsh. I have done that to lots of my guns when they have fine rust on them.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.