Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin Beast

Help Rust!

9 posts in this topic

I store all of my guns (5) in cases in my bedroom. I keep them there because of a gf and so they are not laying out.

I ALWAYS clean the guns off with gun cleaner/rust protectant and dry them off after using them or even bringing them out to look at them.

I checked them out yesterday and all of them had light rust on them. The only sad thing is where the rust was you can see little spots in the metal.

What do I do?

Sorry I am a newbie with guns and hunting but I atleast figured they would be safe in the cases after cleaning them.

My only thought was to make a gun case to hang them somewhere in the house. Right now they are laying up against my fishing rod rack.

It is very difficult to prevent rust on guns stored in a case. They hold and even attract moister. Clean and oil them then store them in a safe open environment like a cabinet or closet,safe etc.

Beast - the padded cases are a magnet to moisture, if you store them in these type of cases always leave the zipper open about a third of the way so it can breathe. A relatively inexpensive solution is to use the silicone impegnated gun socks to store, and the cases only to travel with. Or a gun cabinet - Stack On brand makes the one that I've got, sheet metal with a simple lock. Seems like it was around $150 or so, and it holds eight guns and a few pistols. Put some dessicant bags in the thing and forget about it. I've also seen brick like deals that change color when they are 'full' of moisture letting you know to dry it out in the oven and reuse.

Don't feel too bad, everyone has either done this or knows someone who has... blush.gif

For now; Clean them with WD40 to remove the rust. Then clean and oil them.

Then try products with "Rust Inhibitor". It really does work.

/Better yet, buy a safe with a Goldenrod or dessicant.

If you left the guns cased for quite a few months the cleaner and rust proof you used might very well have dried up or been absorbed. One thing you can do is clean them more than just the once a year thing. Bring them out and wipe them down every few months. The Hoppes #9 nitro solvent works well too. I use old flannel shirt parts and wipe them down and then leave the cloth around the receiver to give it lasting protection.

Even so it does happen. frown.gif

That brings back memories. I had been out hunting grouse one year about 20 years back and had cased my gun in a fleece lined case. I had put it in the back of my pickup topper and forgot it was in there. About a week later I found it and had to peel the fleece off the metal. It had totally rusted right to the fleece. What a mess. I ended up taking it to a gun smith and he filed the barrel down and reblued it for me. It never did get totally repaired because some of the rust pits were too deep to remove completely. He said it was almost to the point that the barrel could have been dangerous if the pits were any deeper. Learned my lesson that time.

Bob

I wonder what would happen if you put some of those old fresh packets you get in a bag of beef jerky? Don't those keep things fresh?

there is a product your supposed to be able to put in the barrel tip and it is supposed to help with rust. They brag it up in the commercials.

Take some remington oil and #003 or #004 steel wool the very fine stuff. Put some oil on the gun and take the steel wool and go over the gun bluing. What the steel wool does is take that little big out rust off and makes a nice finsh. I have done that to lots of my guns when they have fine rust on them.