• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What the heck did I catch???

I caught this little fellow about 10 days ago on Big D. Never saw anything like it?. At first I thought it was a pike. My pop thought it was a baby muskie because of the spots. Just wondering?? StM

PS...I'm working on the photo!

dsc00432bp3.jpg

I know the photo didn't work but is it possible it may be one of thsoe silver phase pike like they have in Boyer? Then again, the mention of spots makes it sound like a young muskie or a hybrid. Need to see the photo.

muskellunge, spotted phase.

Your fish has a pointed forked tail, and dark spots on a light background.

Northern pike have light markings on a dark body. A muskie has six to nine pores (usually seven) on each side of the underside of the lower jaw, a northern has five or fewer. The lobes of the muskie's tail are more pointed than those of the northern pike.

Cool fish, thanks for the great pic!

Thanks for the reply. I've never seen a fish such as this. I caught his 2 big brothers, 48" and 42" before I caught him. So I guess I can say I actually caught 3 muskie that weekend. I've always wondered where the little muskies go! There must be little ones, or their won't be any big ones!

Thanks again StM