Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iFishMN.us

Fall Turnover

4 posts in this topic

Seems to be alot of lakes have turned over already, I was out on waconia and the green slime is there, and I seen in the pic of thay huge bass caught this weekend(other post) that the water on that lake is also slimed. I have heard some say that fishing gets bad for a couple days when this happens...but we did pretty good on waconia in these conditions, didnt get out long because of the rain but we got 2 pike and 1 bass in an hour, first pike went over 10lbs. From all your experiences...how does the turnover affect the fish? I am going to get out tonight for sure, after seeing that massive bass I cant resist, I will try to remember to post how I do.

I noticed this too and have been avoiding those lakes & ponds. I tried fishing them through but with little success. Finding bodies of water that are still clear or havent turn over has been a key of success for me.

are there any muskie lakes in the metro area that have not turned over yet? johanna, owasso, clear, etc....i think eagle lake in MG where i usually go, has. fishing's been tough there lately. no fish to be found. i'm heading out today and would appreciate some assistance from someone in the know. thanks!

I was curious where you saw the post of the "huge bass"...I am always curious to see what people are catching and the size. I was up on Waconia for the first time on the Sept. 8th. We didn't have too good of luck. We had the best luck at Lake Independence...here are a few pics of that weekend

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/chaddjurg/?action=view&current=DSC01930.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch12

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/chaddjurg/?action=view&current=DSC01928.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch14

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/chaddjurg/?action=view&current=DSC01942.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• NorthwoodKing

Posted

2011 Alumacraft 165cs, fully loaded, Musky rods/reels, spinning rods/reels, hundreds of musky lures, walleye cranks, tackle

Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 5.4:1 $175
      Shimano Calcutta 400TE $250
      Shimano Curado 300EJ $200
      Shimano Tekota 500LC $150
      Daiwa Lexa 300 HS-P $200

St. Croix Mojo Musky 8' Med-Heavy Split grip $100
      St.Croix Premier 8'6" Heavy $125
      St.Croix Premier 8' Heavy - glass/graphite $125
      Thorne Bros. C Series Custom 8'6" Heavy $175
      Fenwick Elite Tech 7"6" Heavy - jerkbait/twitchbait $125

St. Croix Avid 6'6" Med - spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 6' Med -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 7' Med -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 6' Med lite Fast -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier glass/graphite Moderate -- trolling $75
      Fenwick Eagle 6'6" Med Fast -- spinning $75

Pflueger President Spinning reel #6730 $60
      Pflueger President Spinning reels #6925 $70
      Daiwa Sealine SG17LC3B $75

Bristol Village 102nd & Bush Lake Road Bloomington - Saturday October 1st 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.

00w0w_bROm6jzb6Er_600x450.jpg

• hoppe56307

Posted

I am JACKED UP, we leave for North Dakota tonight, scout all day tomorrow and blast:Bang: first thing saturday morning.  

• HunterFisher11

Posted

Going to be coming up to nam and kab for last open water fishing for the year, just wondering if any one has been out and any luck?? And any pointers on where to try and presentation?? Thanks!! 

• redlabguy

Posted

Andy,

Two 22's is fun. I fished a few Frazer spots yesterday with the same poor results. Places that had fish (28-30' off rocky points) before our storms and wind came up empty. I'm with CT, hoping more stable weather will improve the catch. In fact I think I'll go out and try it right now.

Dick

• BringAnExtension

Posted

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
      • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
      • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

• CaptJohnWis

Posted

Headed UP NORTH.

Leaving for Athabasca tomorrow. My trip of a lifetime was there about a decade ago. My buddy Herb and I caught many BIG lake trout about this same time of year. Sadly I could get nobody to go with me since it was a spur of the moment decision. A camping trip I was supposed to be on to Reindeer Lake got called off (not by me) at the last minute. I was bummed so started looking around for other far away big trout and pike lakes.

Here are pictures from my best laker trip ever. Hopefully this one will be even better!

Be back to Rainy around the 10th. Herb wants to try Mille Lacs for bass when I get back. Any tips for that lake in mid-October appreciated. Course it will be hard to pry me off Rainy now that the bass are starting to school up.

30-LB.jpg

38LB.jpg

• Thanks FishinCT, makes me feel a bit better.....

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

Usually we skip the the river until later in the year but it was the cleanest water we found and the only place we caught any fish. Heading out now to give it another try.

• curt quesnell

Posted

Close to home is possible, try those places first?  I will be out this weekend (if this cold doesnt kill me first)  Better luck next time fins

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• NorthwoodKing
      2011 Alumacraft 165cs, fully loaded, Musky rods/reels, spinning rods/reels, hundreds of musky lures, walleye cranks, tackle

Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 5.4:1 $175
      Shimano Calcutta 400TE $250
      Shimano Curado 300EJ $200
      Shimano Tekota 500LC $150
      Daiwa Lexa 300 HS-P $200

St. Croix Mojo Musky 8' Med-Heavy Split grip $100
      St.Croix Premier 8'6" Heavy $125
      St.Croix Premier 8' Heavy - glass/graphite $125
      Thorne Bros. C Series Custom 8'6" Heavy $175
      Fenwick Elite Tech 7"6" Heavy - jerkbait/twitchbait $125

St. Croix Avid 6'6" Med - spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 6' Med -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 7' Med -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier 6' Med lite Fast -- spinning $75
      St. Croix Premier glass/graphite Moderate -- trolling $75
      Fenwick Eagle 6'6" Med Fast -- spinning $75

Pflueger President Spinning reels #6925 $70
      Daiwa Sealine SG17LC3B $75

Bristol Village 102nd & Bush Lake Road Bloomington - Saturday October 1st 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
    • hoppe56307
      I am JACKED UP, we leave for North Dakota tonight, scout all day tomorrow and blast first thing saturday morning.  
    • HunterFisher11
      Going to be coming up to nam and kab for last open water fishing for the year, just wondering if any one has been out and any luck?? And any pointers on where to try and presentation?? Thanks!! 
    • redlabguy
      Andy, Two 22's is fun. I fished a few Frazer spots yesterday with the same poor results. Places that had fish (28-30' off rocky points) before our storms and wind came up empty. I'm with CT, hoping more stable weather will improve the catch. In fact I think I'll go out and try it right now. Dick
    • BringAnExtension
      Zach- I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers. We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch. Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why: This fishing is good. The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts. No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it. Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL. Hope that helps.