Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcmsek

Portage

7 posts in this topic

Does any one know if you are paddling down a river and need to portage around a rapids if you can go on private property to do so?

Thanks

I think you have 15 feet from the water line as long as you get on the river from public property your good to go,the people that own property don't like it but it's the law.

Might depend on if you consider the recent ruling that seems to say you are permitted access only to the navigable channel of a body of water. confused.gif

I'm just going buy MN state law and I'm prety sure the DNR is also.

Up to the high water mark is considered public land. Now, there are some people out there that will still get upset, but that is the law.

I got a response from the DNR that concurs that it is not the highwater mark, if your feet are not wet, you are trespassing, no exceptions. The highwater mark means nothing.

I never did understand the high/low/middle whatever water line. Maybe it was an older law, I dunno.

Now, if your feet are on the land it better be public or you better have permission to be there or you are tresspassing.