Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcmsek

Private Property Portage

17 posts in this topic

Does any one know if you are paddling down a river and need to portage around a rapids if you can go on private property to do so?

Thanks

If your feet are in any water you are okay - dry land your are tresspassing

I think you have up to the highwater mark, which depending on the stream and bank, could be pretty high

there is lea way on the the shore land. But as long as your not doing any damage to the property I can't see why they would argue.

what about that new judge rule they had passed something about all water was private property??? dont get that though

High-water mark is correct.

normal high water mark like say every spring it floods thats the high water mark. Not say the 100 year flood kind of thing.

In WI it is no longer the high water mark. You must keep your feet wet. Although, if you come to an area that is impassable( beaver dams etc.), or feel that it would be dangerous(Deep hole, rapids etc.), you are allowed to exit and re-enter the river using the shortest route to do so. That is just WI though. I don't know the MN law.

I got a response from the DNR that concurs that it is not the highwater mark, if your feet are not wet, you are trespassing, no exceptions.

Well i know for a fact as of last year if your feet are wet and your walking you can still get a ticket.If the creek/river was man made like a drainage ditch thats tresspassing exception is the riteofway like intersection culverts things like that just off the road.

Thats why you see most trappers only trapping those areas.

I know 2 clowns that took a small duck boat pulled it off the truck down the ditch and into a pond.All the property prior to the water was riteaway so they figured it was ok.They even called the dnr on this 1.I'm prety sure they left out the fact that pond was private and full of monster fish.They were issued a tresspass ticket $50.00 each and lost all the fish they had

This may not apply to your situation but for those reading whats been said so far does not apply to all waters

I know for a fact that if the water comes up to the road you can access the Lake, pond, stream whatever. There is a lake close to my residence that a local game warden even accesses off the road to go fishing. Seen him do it and talked to him while he was.

I guess thats why we have so many regs.Not 1 game warden or judge rules the same thats why ya ask the local guy what the rules are cause you'll be dealing with that person.It might not be the way another Gamewarden will tell you but thats all you need

This Goes back to me hunting next to a game warden in a city park that was not posted as 1.Kinda hard to get a ticket when this happens

I agree westb. (Packer fan are we? LOL)

This should sum it up quite easily:

MN DNR "water law basics"

As a landowner/lakeshore owner myself I know for a fact anyone can access the body of water legally through a road right-of-way if water butts up to it.

For the river...keep your feet and property in the water at all times. The key words are navigable and/or non-navigable waters. Read the law in the link. wink.gif

I lost a bet. It really hurts me to have that there. Don't tell Crystal. smile.gif

Hmmmm Chuck, it looks like you might have just found a 'free beer lever."

Well for 3 years the game wardens been giving tickets out to those walking down a1/4 mile drainage ditch to acess about 5,000 acres of private deer hunting land.There feet have been in the water the whole time until they reach the land they have permission to be on.They start out by walking down the bank from the road next to a culvert max of 7' from road to water.

Cranecreek had a sign posted by the dnr.Boat acess only no walking in river beyond this point without writtn permission.Someone cut the sign off in half last summer.

Explanations anyone???

The drainage ditch probably isn't considered "navigable waters", but rather a privately created waterway. The laws regarding such things are murky at best - but anyone relying on the water in a ditch (as opposed to a natural stream or river or lake) are probably in a trespass situation.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!