Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisher98

Water temp and Smallies

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any reports on the water temp out on Green?? I am heading out there early friday morning for a weekend of smallmouth fishing, and I am wondering if anyone has any patterns or depths that the little brown fishies are roaminig in!!!

thanks--

fisher98 smile.gif

Put on a Chug Bug and work 4 - 8 ft of water along the inside weed edge. Loads of fun!

Oldguide--

What are the smallies eating this time of year out there, Perch or what????

Any particular colors, or even a specific time of day or all day???

thanks for the info!!! grin.gif

fisher98

The're chasing minnows!!!!!!! It looks to be a bit windy on Sat. but you should be able to fish out of the city landing. Don't be afraid to fish topwater even if the sun is out and the waves are up a bit. Those suckers don't like those baits. Color doesn't matter just make some noise. A nice brigh spinnerbait will work to. Stay in 2-8 foot of water and go get "em".

Let me know how you did this week and what worked for the smallies (location, depths, lures, etc). I am heading out to Green next week Mon or Tues. Thanks!

Frydog, was out all weekend, email me at kroc005@yahoo.com.

Catchin'

Wondering what a chug bug is....who makes it? Mel's and Cabela's hadn't heard of it. Was on Green Monday, weather was too nice - nothing was working altho we saw several smallies.

Storm makes it. Great popper.

Catchin' : I was out on Monday and didn't see your note until now. Fished for 5 hours...probably too nice of a day for fishing. We only boated one smallie, altho a nice one at 19.5 inches. We saw several others some looked over 20 inches, but couldn't catch them. Threw lots of lures, spinners, plastics, raps...no luck. Mel's said it was the slowest stretch they'd seen all summer, but next time might want to try large minnows down deep.

It was my first time fishing on Green, maybe you can help me for next time I go out. There must be some better methods or rock piles, weed lines to fish. We found some rocks along the markers by the deep spot, but not many others. Found only a couple weeded areas but saw most smallies there.

If you have any recommendations on location, lures, live bait, etc would be great. I don't go often but if I do again, would like to find some of those big smallies. My 11 year old son or 78 year old dad would love to have a day to find a few of those...

Has anyone been out on Green this past weekend fishing for Smallies???? I want to come out on Friday if the weather isn't too bad!!!

Where are the smallies??? Still shallow. I was out there last weekend and they were shallow. How about any reports on water temp??

thanks--

fisher98 cool.gif

How shallow were the smallies? What kind of structure were they around? (weeds, rocks, shoreline), Live bait or artifical? will try to get out once more...thanks!

When I was last out the fish were in anywhere from 2-8ft of water, but the water temp 2 weeks ago was almost 60'F. But I imagine that the water has cooled and the smallies have moved deeper.

I found them around larger rocks. I caught them on topwaters, rattle-traps and tubes. But I imagine this pattern has changed dramatically!!!

fisher98 smile.gif