Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harvey lee

Live Satellite imagery

19 posts in this topic

Is there a page where I can look at live pictices of earth.Looking for pictures of rivers and lakes current conditions.

I doubt there is anywhere that you can view live images via satellite. I would think that would be an invasion of privacy or something.

I haven't seen a live satelite feed site but theres Google Earth. I could see my own house and lake with this thing.

I think what Harvey had in mind was a real time picture to view real time conditions. Boy, I wish there was such a thing. I guarantee you that it's "out there", just not available to the general public wink.gif

You can check out NASA' web site. They have some cool imagery there.

You got it Dtro.

Could be out there, like ya said, just not available to us...

You might try searching around on the USGS minnesota site, they have a LOT of info regarding Minnesota's water resources!

harvey lee, Its getting a little late to be looking for nude sun bathers this time of the year. grin.gif What isn't night vison working as well as you thought??? grin.gifgrin.gif

Hawkeye,the night vision is working just fine but its a long ways to see from home to North Dakota.

Google Earth is a great program. Although a lot of parts of MN arent all that clear like the large, popular cities. Even if you cant see your house in MN its still an awesome program to play around with. Also, if you want to find a pretty good quality aerial photo, try Terraserver. The pics may be pretty dated though, like 10 years or so old. But still cool.

For county by county MN aerial maps google search for LMIC (Land Management Information Center) and go to the section 'NAIP 2003 and 2003-04 Aerial Photography'

These are'.sid' files - aerial coverage for most MN counties, flown 2003-2004. There's a little learning curve to acquiring and using the data, but the help files are there. A plug-in for MS explorer is required to view, and its a free download from Lizardtech. Once installed, you can view the files from your browser. County files are large to download - bonus if you have high speed. You might be able to order CD's as well...

Very detailed, colored maps!!

crawdad, that is the best site I have found. like you said, high speed is almost a must to download, especially the larger countys. it took me almost 30 minutes to download aitkin county with 3meg high speed.

HARVEY,

GOOGLE EARTH IS PAST TENSE WITH SAT IMAGRY, IF YOU WANT LIVE UPDATE IMAGRY TRY NOAA WEATHER SATS, THEY HAVE SOME LIVE LINKS THAT ARE CRAZY,MOST COLLEGES HAVE SAT LINKS FROM THE BIG HITTERS OUT THERE FOR GEO AND WEATHER RESEARCH.

JUST GET ON THE RIGHT SIGHT AND LINK ON.

Google must have updated their images recently; I was never impresed with the image quality but I checked it out again this week and the are that I hunt is now very clear and I can see some of the areas that have changed (clear cuts and whatnot) in the recent past. If you haven't been on there in a whil, it might be worth another look.

JUST REMEMBERED THAT THE DNR WEB SIGHT HAS OUT OF HAND SAT SIGHT. GO ONTO MAPS -PHOTO LINKS- AND YOU HAVE CURRENT MAPS

Cannot find it. Can someone give me a link o live satellite imagery?

There is no real live satellite imagery, unless you want to pay Digital Globe or Space images a lot of money. That is presuming there is coverage where and when you need it. The best most of us can do is not more than 10 years old or so.

Most of the high resolution photos on Geosrver or Google Earth are taken from airplanes and aren't satellite images.

I have noticed that Mapquest has really stepped up its aerial photography. When you map a place, on the top right of the map that is shown, there is a button for aerial photo.

The navigation that you can do with the map is pretty cool also. Just left click, hold, and move the map where you want it.

Although it is not "up to the day" current, I think it can give a person a good layout of the land.

KJ