Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
red ice

handheld gps questions...

red ice

Looking to get a unit to use for ice fishing. Leaning toward the Lowrance iFinder H20 and getting the HotMaps North chip. Is there any problems with this unit? Any suggestions of other brands or models to look at? Where could I find the best deal on one? Was at Scheels in St. Cloud this past weekend and the H2O was $170 and the chip $150 with a $50 mail in rebate on the chip. I passed on it for now cause I just started looking and like to do research first. Thanks in advance for any help sent my way!

RED

LMITOUT

I have the H20 with the MN Lakemaster chip and I really enjoyed having it last winter for ice fishing mounted to the handlebars of my ATV. I didn't have any problems with either item. The Lakemaster is compatible with my X-15 on the boat so I went that route....not to mention the number of lakes included on that particular chip.

cliffy

I also have the H2O with the lake master chip....love it!!!!

Bobb-o

I found my H2O online for $130 and then i got the lakemaster chip in the Cabelas bargain cave for $40. make sure you look around before you buy.

braves57

here's a questions for you all...

I just bought the H2O C with a lakemaster chip.

How come when I am sitting on my couch in the living room, it shows that I am at my nieghbors house down the street around the corner and down that street... That seems a little too far off when I am zoomed in all the way. That would be about 200 feet (or more) off.

Is there something I am missing? Kinda hard to find the edges with that kind of accuracy.

hmmm....

Bobb-o

go into the advanced menu, go to customize, then click the checkmark next to EPE, this will show you how far off the GPS is at any given time. This will vary greatly, when you first turn it on is generally when you will have the largest EPE. Also, you probably aren't getting that great of a signal inside your house. Mine averages around 30-40 feet when in the woods, and 19-25 when driving, it just seems to get better reception the longer it is on and the faster i am going.

cliffy

Bobb-o took the words right out of my mouth. I would assume the clearer view of the sky...the better the reception. I supppose I average about the same..no matter if I am on the ice, in the boat or driving down the road.

braves57

so how is the accuracy on the lakes?

does that vary also?

LMITOUT

Another thing to consider is that you more than likely are not getting a WAAS signal in the house. You need a good line of sight to the southern horizon to lock on to the WAAS signal. This is what makes the GPS shine. Out on the lakes it gets down to 20ft or so and is pretty darn accurate. Imagine drawing a circle and standing in the middle where the line is 20ft from you....that's not too shabby.

red ice

I looked at the lakemaster chip, that doesn't have all the lakes on it that I fish. The navionic hotmap premium seems to have pretty much every lake on it and in pretty good detail too. Does it get any more accurate than a 20 foot circle?

RED

eurolarva

even with WAAS I doubt you will get more accurate then 20 feet with any GPS. I noticed the bouys were right on the mark on both Mille Lacs and on Minnetonka. I fished Yellow lake in Wisconsin and the detail followed the fish finder almost exactly. Navonics is an awsome chip.

Bobb-o

The most accurate i have seen on mine is 16 feet. I have heard that if you have mapcreate you can upload the DNR .TIFF files for the lakemaps onto a chip? does anyone know if this is true?

kunk

When I first got my H2O I got the Freedom Map. Later I bought a Lakemaster chip. I found that on the highway the Freedom Map was more accurate. I tracked right down the highway with it. But with the Lakemaster chip, I ran just off the highway. The Lakemaster chip is still tops on the lake, but on a trip I will put the Freedom map chip in.