Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crappie Kid

Report 9/24

12 posts in this topic

Was out on Gull today and did very well. Pulled Redtails on a rig in 25 to 35 fow. 2 of us caught 13 eyes. 6 were from 17 to 19.5 inches and 7 were over 25 inches. Wow. Right at noon. Water temps on surface were at 59 degrees. Kept the six under 20 inches for the pan and let the hogs go. Beautiful day on the lake. Too bad the Vikes couldn't win.

Now that's a good day for a crappie kid. My wife and I fished the tournament on Pelican and it was good, but not that good. The winning team (the Pryzbilla's) had 14 some pounds. We were out of the money with 9 plus pounds. It was fun and it was a beauty day. The Vikes did lose, that stinks but the Twins won!

Walleyedan

Great report guys. The last ten days the bigger fish have started to feed up. It sure is nice to know there still are some pigs left out there. It could be a great week out on the water. We could use a few more days just like today. Cool, sunny fall days. Plus the fall colors are really starting to pop out. What an awesome time of the year. How many teams showed up for the tourney today?

Jason Erlandson

38 Jason.

Have a nice day,

Dan

Heading up to Gull on Monday, have only been on the lake once and am concerned about the depth of the flat south of the Zorbaz launch. Also, should I concentrate on the north end of the lake or south. I'll be sure to get som 'tails at Walleye Dans shop. THanks for any "shallow danger" info.

Happ

The launch off of 371 is in good shape,havent had any problems there.I doesnt seem to mater wich end of lake you fish there were good schools of fish stacked up on all of the quick dropping structure,caught plenty of fish last week end but most fish were 14-15 inchers with many smaller.Was using good sized redtails on jigs and rigs.Burl.

Just watched Mauer jerk one out, that guy is a machine!! Go Twins!!

I dinged up my prop and broke my skeg today. It didn't have as much to do with the shallow water as it did my stupidity. I wouldn't be too concerned about the shallower than normal water. Just don't take off in shallow water and make sure you trim up as you approach the boat ramp prop wash areas. North Long is not good (the south side of the Merrifield ramp is bad). Fishing was slow this a.m. and good this afternoon. We were rigging with large red tails.

Walleyedan

Walleyedan,

When you fish North Long this time of year do you spend most of your time in Merrifield Bay or do you hit the big lake. Am comming up for 5 days next week and was looking for a few pointers. Whats the water temp running these days up there? Any help would be great.

I will typically start in the bay and look at 6 or 8 spots. If that doesn't work, I'll move out to the big lake. The M.B. gets hit harder than the big lake this time of year. Same techniques apply, rig and a big red tail or a jig and a rainbow (or whatever) fished in 17-40 feet.

Good luck,

Dan

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info and am looking forward ot some fun, the fish are the bonus! My Buddy's wont let me watch Minnesota Pro sports, but I took a peek in the bottom of the ninth, Hoorah!

Thanks Walleyedan. That is about how we have fished this lake also. By the way, what's the biggest walleye you or anyone you have heard of caught out of North Long. Historically, we have done very well with numbers and average size of fish but we have never caught any over 27". Am curious to your response. Thanks.

Zepman,

I don't think we have boated a walleye over 24 inches from North Long. I have put in a fair amount of time over there, but not anywhere near the amount of time I have spent on Gull. Last night I put a guy a a fat 25 incher on Pelican, that is the biggest I have ever had in my boat from that like too. Lots of big mommas from Gull Lake though.

Go Twins,

Walleyedan