Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wiskers

Skull hunt

9 posts in this topic

Well I went on another Bison skull hunt today.. I guess we did pretty well... man that was a fun time.. You would not believe what you find when you take the time to explor the sand bars. Thanks to the RP, I am able to get to the stretchs of river no one else can when it is low enough to find horns and skulls.

183318.jpg

Very interesting Wiskers!!

I tell ya what, that was a fun day on the river.. Very interesting and kind of like a scavanger hunt.

Wiskers - you found all those bison skulls in the river and on the sandbars?

Yeppers.. I know the areas that I have seen signs of bones in the past and when the water gets real low, these start showing up if you know where to look. Some are even still in the water. That 3D Huminbird side imaging sonar is the bomb. Not to mention the River pro to get me there. Many spots I was running through 2 inches of water.

Man fishing must be slow... grin.gif

Thats Rockin'...I need to get out and do that! I love to do that kind of thing, just never get the chance, or always have something else going on. You know how that goes!

Did you get most of those from the Red Lake River or the Red River? I found some bones while pre fishing for Cats incredible this year on the Red, but no horns or skulls.

You said you were running in water as shallow as 2" inches? Heck, you don't need a River Pro...I can "run" in water as shallow as 1" inch...Just not with my boat! grin.gif I really am going to have to get a River Pro one day when I actually have some money? wink.gif

Talk to you later.

Now that's cool! I've never thought to go looking for them- just stumbled into them on occasion. Very cool!!!

The most fun part is just taking the time to explor on the new sand bars and it would shock you what you find. Stuff that has been there for MANY of years just waiting for human eyes to gaze upon. super fun for kids, collecting rocks and all sorts of cool stuff.

The OSLO area has always been a good place to look. We've always found them in a place where it makes a big eddy during high water and eats part of the bank away after the water drops we go back and take a look. sometimes we find afew,sometimes we don't find any. lots of fun though.