Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vizsla01

Boat Gas Question

11 posts in this topic

I was cleaning out the garage and I found a couple of jugs of old boat gas.(50/1) I was told that you can put this in your car. Is this correct? Will it wreck something with in my vehicle? Better yet what do you do with the old gas?

I have been doing that for years in the fall to use up the last of it as well as the gas for the blower/weedeater/chainsaw. Put one in at a time and do it when the tank is near full. I think that the oil gets so diluted then that it realy does not matter. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Like Jimbo I burn it in my truck. I always take my fuel that I leave in my boat to winter over and burn it in the spring. The only reason I leave any gas is I have a metal gas tank and a full tank will not rust, I do add sta-bil in the fall. Never had any problems.

I've done this too and never had any noticeable problems although I can't imagine it's too good for the O2 sensor or catalytic converter. Yes, these devices do get some blowby or burning of oil anyway, but they do balk when it gets to be too much.

When you think about it though, it does seem somewhat odd to pour gas that we would not use in a $XXXX boat engine into a $XX,XXX vehicle.

Quote:

When you think about it though, it does seem somewhat odd to pour gas that we would not use in a $XXXX boat engine into a $XX,XXX vehicle.

To me it does seem odd using $ X of gas in anything valued at least $ XXXX

Just throw the gas away....give it to the nearest oil change station.

If you have an older sled, use it in that wink.gif

Lawnmower or snowblowers. Keeps the bugs and neighbors away. grin.gif

How true.

It's pretty easy to get caught up tripping over dollars to pick up the pennies.

The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Rochester may take small quantities if you think the gas has gone bad (smells like varnish).

I put mine in old paint cans and burn it. No it doesn't go poof, it actually burns for hours. Careful when you light it!!! smile.gif

Seems like you could be making more of an issue than necessary. If you have 3 gallons of 50:1 gasoline you have approximately 7.68oz. of oil in the gas. (3 x 128 / 50 = 7.68) Pour this into a 20 gallon tank and then fill the car, the resulting raio will be approximately 333:1. (20 x 128 / 7.68 = 333.3) You think this can be a problem for your engine?

Seems like the amount of oil in your gas is, for all practical purposes, non-existent.

I don't know if having a mixture of 2-cycle oil in your gasoline is really much of a problem to the engine. Could check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Bob

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• cwmn
      Fished Owasso last summer for the first time since the winter kill, caught one bass in 4 hours. My wife was fishing for pan fish and didn't get a nibble. You might want to look for another lake. CW
    • hardcore365
      I use about a 6' leader of 10lb flouro tied to my main line with a small barrel swivel. As far as hooks go I don't use just one. I prefer a treble of some sort, usually a small glow spoon. If it's a single hook I lean towards bigger is better, but also in glow. Set it up at your desired depth and don't just forget about it. Check it, move it, check it, move it. You can cover a good amount of water if you aren't lazy about it. Also I use just a simple bobber tie for my depth marker instead of those little bobbers. No real reason why that's just what I'm used to. Good luck, half the fun is learning what works best for you. 
    • leech~~
      I use to love fishing out on Sherman's and I will have to say holy craap that is a long ride over from Rockys.
    • Fishin machine
      Hey everyone, picked up a frabil insulated tip up last weekend and I want to use it for a set line for walleyes when I want to set up another line in different depths. So I put about 100 years of 20 pound braid tip up line on it. My question is what do I use for my leader? I've herd mono and flouro work good but I don't know which is best? And as far as hooks go what to you guys use? Single red hook? Treble? Sure set? Thanks!
    • delcecchi
      I liked the lake vermilion and lake vermilion resort and tourism pages so got this update.  If you went to the resort association web page you could probably get on their mailing list.   http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Lake-Vermilion-Area-Trails-Update-1-20-17.html?soid=1102498830363&aid=G5yKEZiNmkU Lake Vermilion Area Trail Update, 1/20/2017 There is a total of about 22-26" on the ground. Grooming is taking place and trails are in good condition. The latest updates are below... ARROWHEAD TRAIL 1-18-17. Local snow depth is 24-30" Base is 3-5". The entire Arrowhead is groomed and in fair to good condition except for a two-mile portion going north over a swamp from the Orr South Grant-in-Aid trail. We hope to have this last section groomed by the weekend. Please use caution when traveling these trails. Logging is ongoing on the Arrowhead Trail north of Hwy 1, north of Hoodoo Lake, and north of the Elephant Lake Rd. (Conditions reported from DNR)   BEARSKIN TRAIL 1-17-17 update: Nature has been working in our favor! We have been grooming everything regularly and conditions are very nice! The Bearskin has been groomed and is in good shape - watch for overhanging brush in some spots. The Tim Corey has NOT YET been groomed as of this update. (Conditions provided by the Cook Timberwolves Snowmobile Club)   
      LAKE VERMILION AND SOUDAN UNDERGROUND MINE STATE PARKS 1-19-17. Local snow depth is 22-26" Base 3-5". Snowmobile trails in the park are groomed and open. The Alaska shaft trail is cleared of trees and open for non-motorized users. (Conditions provided by the DNR)
      PUTNAM & FISHING LAKES TRAIL 1-18-17. Local snow depth is 20-24" Base 2-4" . The Putnam/Fishing Lakes Trail is groomed and in fair condition. (Conditions provided by the Minnesota DNR)    STONY SPUR 1-19-2017 update: Depth 18" Base - 2-4" Groomed - partially Condition - poor THE HIDDEN BAY portion the trail linking up to Stony Spur has been closed due to logging. Please avoid the Hidden Bay area for safety reasons. Taconite and Stony Spurs are groomed. (Conditions provided by the Ely Chamber)   TACONITE TRAIL 1-18-17. Local snow depth is 20-24" Base is 3-5". The entire Taconite from Ely to Hwy 73 is groomed and in fair to good condition, save for a small section of open water between Big Aspen and Pfeiffer Lake. This section is flagged, signed, and passable. Please use caution when traveling these trails. (Conditions reported by DNR)
      TOMAHAWK TRAIL 1-19-17 Snowfall Depth 18" Base - 4-6" Trail is cleared through to the North Shore from Ely. Most of the trail is groomed; however, swamps and wetlands have not yet frozen so groomers are unable to do that portion of the trails. Trails are in fair to good condition. (Conditions provided by the Ely Chamber) VOYAGEUR-CRANE LAKE TRAIL 1-18-17: The weather is just beautiful and so are the trails. All the trails are being groomed and the Arrowhead is back to it's normal schedule. There are still a few beaver ponds that we are not taking the groomer over but as mentioned before we are grooming up to those spots from both sides. It takes extra time but we want the trails at there best. (Conditions provided by the Voyageur Trail Society)
      WOLF TRACK TRAIL 1-17-17 update: Nature has been working in our favor! We have been grooming everything regularly and conditions are very nice! The Wolf Track trail has been groomed and is in nice condition. (Conditions provided by the Cook Timberwolves Snowmobile Club)