• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SCOUTING FOR GEESE

HonkerHammer

Hey all,

You don't get something for nothing, especially hunting info, however I have recently been transferred (July) with the Coast Guard from San Francisco to Duluth and I'm looking for some waterfowl hunting leads. I was able to get access to one farm around Duluth and managed a few geese in the early season however, I would really like to expand my options. I'm willing to travel west/south to get into some migrators or Snows. I haven't discovered too many options other than Hay fields and would love to get into some corn etc...

I'd be interested in any feedback on areas where landowners might be/seem to be receptive to hunters asking permission to hunt their land. My 11 year old loves to hunt too and we would really like to take advantage of being stationed in the mid-west where we have so many opportunities including the spring migration for snows as well.

The Brainerd area seems promising but I've never been there before. I'm not bashful about exploring I'm just trying to focus my efforts so I make best use of my limited time.

Thanks,

Mike.

You try for snows near thief river falls, there is a wma near a town call St. hillar (sp?) Branard area has alots of good public areas just get a gazette to help you find the public land. I have hunted up there with a friend of mine and done very well, all over water, so you will need a boat. If you find any info about hunting north of duluth, im looking, no one has posting anything on that yet. Also try the cloquet river. hope this helps.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Guys there are many options out there. One is public land theres a bunch of it and some can be good the other is private land. Public land can be good at times and with some effort you can find some hidden gems. I prefer hunting private areas over public areas . Over the years I have gained alot of access to some very good areas. The key to gaining permmisson to private land is first you must ask, second respect there land,third obey there rules gate closeing,driveing in fields etc, fourth don't be afraid to help out the landowner by helping with chores,fieldwork etc. If this isn't possible get them a certificate to a resturant etc or offer themn some of the game you harvested off of there land. I have gained respect and a friendship bond from the landowners over the years and plan on continueing my traditions. Get a plot book of areas you intend to hunt and do a little scouting, research, etc and you can and will find some excellent spots for now and the future. Good luck in your search!!!

Airdriver,

Thanks for the info. TRF is one I have seen before on the various forums and such. I do have a boat, but prefer to be over fields. Thanks for the info. I haven't hunted up the shore at all and I don't know anyone who has just yet.

I'll check out the WMA near St Hillar

thanks for the feedback Icehawk. That's pretty much how I got onto some of the early season Goose Fields. Time is generally something I don't have a lot of as I usually spend at most a couple of years in one place before I get orders to a new part of the country. I've had to start over more times than I care to recount. The advantage is that I have friends all over the country. Thanks for all the help.