Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassboy1645

A lil HELP??

4 posts in this topic

As i mentioned before this is a whole new ball game hunting deer up here compared to southern mn. Im watching the wind religiously and i douse scent killer on before my hunt, ect. four hunts this past week have not produced anything and all the deer i see are on the roads after dark. I thought all my spots were good but im second guessing. the only buck i seen was huge but it too was on the road after dark. i htought i heard somewhere that a guy could be in a great spot up here and not see anything for a few days just becasue the woods are so big. is this true?? do i just rotate where i sit and hope i see somthign or can i hunt a stand 2 or three nites in a row and then decide on a move or not?? confused.gifconfused.giffrown.giffrown.gif

One thing to remember is that the deer in the North are hunted 365 days a year, 24 hours a day - by wolves. They don't survive if they don't use every trick in the book. Down in the south they can survive even if they aren't careful since they only get hunted a couple of weeks. I don't use scent-masking stuff as I don't really believe it works, so I hunt upwind exclusively. There are a ton of deer out there. If you're not seeing any then you are probably spooking them before you see them, unless they have moved off to another food source from when you scouted. You might want to take a day to re-scout your hunting area to make sure their pattern hasn't switched. And be sure to be hunting upwind and remaining perfectly motionless and silent.

Welcome to Northern MN deer hunting. Its a little tougher when they have everywhere to hide. grin.gif I do all my scouting during grouse season. Get a topo map, study the fringes of high ground and low areas, bottlenecks, creeks and then pickup a shotgun and put on some miles.

ST, ur right thats a great way to scout....it is also the way i have been socuting this whole time....my bud shot a deer last nite and wheres hes at has alot of deer. he saw six in eight hrs......i have studying to do most of this week but if i can get a nite or 2 im gonna go scout some new areas and or rescout my areas now like u said...hopefully i have a different stand or 2 or 3 before next weekend. I also hunt wiht a climber so its just a matter of picking a tree and trimmign branches. Thanks for the help though!!!! smirk.gif