Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dlg

smallies

3 posts in this topic

I am taking my two boys up to Mille Lacs on the 30th. While my first love would be the walleyes, I want the boys to experience smallmouth fishing. Any ideas? I have never fished smallies in the fall and am wondering if there are any specific patterns/locations/depths to look for.

dave

Just want the boys to have fun. I get to spend the whole day with them so my day is complete already.

I don't know off hand, but I would assume the rock piles or reefs. I'd work the drop off in the day then go shallower towards dusk.

Get some 1/0 circle hooks and some 4 or 5 inch sucker minnows. Add a small split shot to keep the minnow down, but it needs to stay out of the rocks. Hook the minnow through the bottom lip only or it will die right away (in through the mouth and out the bottom). Just pull the baits behind the boat with the trolling motor on the edge of the reefs, or cast it up on top and let it swim. No need to set the hook with the circle hooks when you get the bite, just start reeling. I recommend these hooks because it keeps the hook out of their throat most of the time.

Otherwise, throw crankbaits and spinner baits on the edges or on top of the reefs. It can be pretty simple if they're on the eat.