• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

puppy training update

Dahitman44

My Yellow lab pup is almost ready to come home for puppy training, I hope. Talked to the trainer and he said Copper is having trouble with retieving -- great. That is not good news. I had trouble with him in that way as well. Good dog just stubborn.

The trainer is sure he will straighten out. Is he right? Gosh, i hope so.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It's tough to make any kind of judgement without hearing more of what the problem is... problems retreiving could be several things - teething, hard head, etc with different solutions for each...

marine_man

Yeah --

Copper has a hard head. Every step of the way he has been a little tough. He learned things right away, but then once he did it that was all for him. he was like, "I already did that remember?"

I hope he gets better.

Copper is now picking things off of the ground but is still not retreving. Got a chance to visit him last night.

The trainer hopes he will be ready in about two weeks. He also said copper has a soft mouth, which is good, but doesn't hang on to things as tighly as he should. Another thing he said he can fix.

Any thoughts?

Can you tell us all a little bit more about Copper?

How old is he? How long has he been with the trainer?

What are you plans for the future regarding training?

Thanks

Your trainer should know how to fix that problem. It has to do with the "hold" command, the intro to force fetch. If that is your only problem, and your trainer knows what he is doing, he will fix it.

Once he is force fetched, then you go to the "fetch" command with force every time he drops it. You may have to be quick on your feet. You may also need to use a check cord to keep him moving. Just stay with it. With a young dog, they shouldn't do anything unless you tell them to.

Let us know how it progresses.

Talked to the trainer and he is doing some short retreiving that is progress, I guess.

Based on that, the trainer hopes Copper will be ready in about two weeks. He is going to work on finding (frozen) birds then take out some real birds and find them. Will also work on water retreiving as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

He is six months old and has been with him for a month. Did the regular obediance then hunting.

What is forced fetch?

OK. At six months, you shouldn't expect that much in terms of production. It is a goofy age for a dog. He is losing teeth (which may be why he won't retrieve right now (sore mouth)), growing like crazy, hormones, etc... With my dogs, I try to keep everything fun at that age, but do start to take the obedience very seriously. You primary job right now it to introduce him to as many different experiences as you can, yet stay in control. If you sense that something is going wrong, back off and wait until later. It sounds like your trainer has been doing all of this stuff.

Any problems you have with retrieving can and will be cured with force fetch training. If you have never done it before, find someone who has, or pay your trainer to do it. If your trainer is worth his salt, he will know all about it and he can explain it to you or show you how it is done. The dog is forced to hold and pick up objects, eventually at a distance. It also insures a soft mouth due to the hold. It sets up rock solid retrieving and eventually - handling and blind retrieves. It also helps a hard headed dog like yours learn that he isn't the alpha wolf amd will clear up your retrieving issue. I like to start after the adult teeth come in, which is usually around the 6 month age, give or take a month. I would wait until hunting season is over if it was my dog.

Your dog is at a great age for next year. He will be 1 1/2 year old and will now be ready to perform. Enjoy what you get from him this year and let him know when he does something good.

JDM

Great info. Puts at ease a little bit.

Thanks

HM

PS -- will call trainer tonight and get an update and will post.

Copper is doing better. He is going to get the dummy when shot out 40 feet.

He is still a little lazy -- he just walks out there sometimes, but it is a start.

I hope to get him back at the end of next week. I hope.

Checked with the trainer and we may get Copper back a week from Wednesday. We can't wait.

He is retieving from the launcher that sounds like a gun when it is shot off. He doesn't like the sound so Les has to keep him there -- but he will go get the3 bird decoy and drop it.

Is it normal for a puppy to be afraid of the shot sound?

In my opinion, if your pro introduced him to the gun in the proper way, it shouldn't be a problem. It has been a while since I ran trials and associated with pro's, but the only pro I knew named "Les" is not a guy to whom I would send my dog, ever. Care to elaborate on his last name? I hope it is not the same guy, and that he isn't trying to soak you for more money due to your inexeperience. There are many great trainers out there.

JD --

If this guy lives within spitting distace of Hawley I am in trouble. Does he?

This guy seems good and has a loit of dogs out there and has trained a lot of dogs.

Does the last name start with an S and end with and N? I know that the guy I am talking about moved, but I don't know where he is now.

Nope. It starts with a K and ends with an N.

I think I am safe.

Talked to one of the people in town he trained for and they love their lab. Took 8 weeks, but they said it was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got Copper back yesterday. The family was very happy to have him back. The boys and the wife were happy to see him. I don't know how much my 10-year-old lab liked it but he will get by.

The trainer did a great job. Can't wait to take him out there.