Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ely Lake Expert

I got a cool suprise today.

11 posts in this topic

Well, I was sitting in my office eating lunch a little bit ago when I saw my mom and brother pull up in my mom's suv. My brother came in and said come out here I have a suprise for you in the back of the truck, I'm thinking hmmm wierd. So I go out there and there are 2 dogs in the back of the truck. Someone my parents know had them and couldn't take them where they were moving to, so my parents took them and gave one to me and one to my brother. They are purebred 10 month old female German Shorthair pointers. I am still kinda in aww, but anyway I have a new puppy grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ryan

Sweet! Congratulations, Ryan. Shorthairs are bird finding machines! Post up some pics when you get a couple shots of your new pup.

Enjoy your new addition.

You are at the right time to get them in the woods as well. Also a great location. What a nice gift and also for the pups a great change in homes.

Thanks guys,

I am pretty excited. My buddy 2thepointsetters and I both have 10 month old pointers now. It should be a great grouse and pheasant season. I wonder if either of them will be able to retrieve ducks too?

Quote:

I wonder if either of them will be able to retrieve ducks too?

my shorthair loves ducks and water. He was a little hesitant at first to do a mark in water but he is awesome now.

never under estimate a versatile hunting dog lol. I love proving people wrong when they say pointers dont make good waterfowl dogs.

congrats on the dogs they are a blast and a handful. Good luck and have fun!

My GSP mix loves the water.

One cool thing about shorthairs is they are flippin hilarious to boot.

I have a 18 month old GSP and he will not go into open water for any sort of play. Will retrieve a pheasant in a slough but with water it is all work and no play

ELE - so where are the pics of your new pup? C'mon - get with it! grin.gif

Slowly but surely blaze, I am getting to it. Actually, I got to have fun with her for 2 days then I had to leave here with my parents for the week. I have been in Bloomington since sunday taking continuing education courses for my job and I drove from the cities right back to my office this morning so I haven't seen her since sunday.

I have good news too though. The first night I had her at home, I grabbed a old tennis ball walked down to the dock threw it out as far as I could. She jumped right off the end of the dock swam out and got it, came back excited as can be be to do it again. So I ended up playing fetch with her for a hour and a half. The next day My dad and I took her and her sister out to our 70 acres to see if they understood hunting. In 2 hours they flushed up 17 grouse, 3 of which we got ( it was pretty thick) They don't really understand pointing by the looks of it, but they do love the woods and are not scared of guns whatsoever. grin.gif

Anyway, I will have pictures up soon enough, hopefully with a bunch of ducks.

My five year old male shorthair loves the water! He's obsessed, and retrieves ducks very well.

His daughter, a 2 year old shorthair, won't go in past her chest. She just stares at her dad adoringly as he retrives ducks.

As for pointing, my male pointed as a pup, and was a good retriever from the get go. My female didn't have her first point until late season last year. She was about 14 months. She pointed and chased down her first pheasant in the same day. Now she is a great pointer, but not much of a retriever.

You'll love the addition! They're like a kid man, personality is their middle name. I hope you're stubborn, because you're in for some head butting!

Hey guys,

I was slacking about getting these pictures up, but I figured now is better than never. The darker one is Sarah, the lighter one is Nina, and my old golden is named Brandi.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w4/ELEMN/