• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are the salmon running to the tribs yet or not?? I've fished Lake Michigan but never on Superior. Its usually about this time of year when the salmon run on Lake Michigan. Any suggestions or reports would be helpful, thinking about going up to Duluth this weekend. Thank!!

Pray to the Rain Gods!! There just ain't enough water flowing on those rivers to take any kind of a run.

This rain we are getting should get some flow in the rivers now. I may have to hit the North Shore soon. I hope the wind gods quit being so mad.

I haven't been out fishin yet but I have been to the lester a few times. Lately I have seen kings and pinks startin the run at the pool under the london road bridge. I was there this mornin after work and saw pinks and a few kings but the water is gettin cloudy quick. I would say this soakin will start it soon. Good Luck

Cool....we are heading out Sunday for a few days of camping at Gooseberry. Not sure if that takes any kind of a salmon run but may have to take one of the Fly Rods down to the lower stretches a few mornings and see what happens.

upnorth,

I stopped by the gooseberry this evening around 7pm to check it out. It's still not even hooked up with the lake. There is a large/deep gravel bar keeping it from going through, if we get enough rain though, it might bust through the bar. But last i saw it was a long ways from doing it. I was at a couple other rivers on the other hand that are busted through, you may want to check out some of the others in the area. If we get enough rain though, it might do it for the gooseberry, I've never fished it though.

The problem is we are taking the motorhome and I really don't want to break camp to head out to a river. We are going mostly to just relax, go hiking, just hangout, and enjoy the Fall Colors. Fishing this time is kinda secondary. Although the 2nd half of the week we are heading out to trout lake east of Isabella for a few days that will be a bit of a different story smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Upnorth, now how are going to be able to sit back and relax at a place with no salmon knowing there are salmon just down the road? grin.gif Hitch hike or throw a bicycle in the camper.

LOL grin.gif Definetely some good ideas. We made reservations before the rain and I will probably hit a few at least when we move.

Has it really rained down there enough to raise the rivers? I was down on Thursday for an IT seminar and stopped by and checked out the lester and I don't ever remember it being that low at this time of the year. I was thinking it would really need a heavy, heavy downpour for a day or so to bring up enough to really bring in a run.

That is alot more than up here. It has pretty much just drizzled enough to keep things wet for the last few days.

Skipped out on bowhunting to hit the lester for kings and pinks. Lots of pinks in the pools and at the mouth. Couldn't spot any kings but I am sure they were there. The river is flowing nicely with the recent rainfall but the water is pretty cloudy. Also saw a few guys casting spoons from shore havin some luck.

Can someone help in deteriming what the season dates on the salmon and trout in the river's of the big lake are exactly?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Splake and Brook trout

Below the boundary, April 15-Sept 5, minimum size 20", limit 1. Above the boundary April 15-Oct 1. Limit 10 in aggregate(including brown and rainbow)with 1 over 16"

Rainbow Trout including Steelhead

Lake Superior and below the first boundary- Continuous.

Unclipped fin Catch and Release only.

Clipped fin- limit 3 with minimum size of 16"

Lake Trout- Lake Superior and below tribe boundary

Dec 1 2005-Oct 1 2006 limit 3

Salmon continuous limit 5 mixed with only 1 being an Atlantic. min size 10".

nearly every river from duluth to canada has pinks right now the farther up you go the thicker they are. they are fresh and aggressive as of now so if this is a interest to you now's the time to go.

my favorite fly for both pinks and kings is a beadhead chartruse wooly bugger. it seems that most people try to drift their fly right into the fishes mouth, however, I have had much more success casting past where I think the fish are and stripping my fly back quickly. they will hit hard if they are fresh. it seems that on rivers like the brule, guys fishing hardware catch more salmon then the fly guys so I sped up my presentation a bit and started getting more salmon. other flies that have worked well for me are pink cactus flies and purple egg sucking leeches. under clear low water any small nymph or streamer is worth a try.

Anyone have an estimate to how much longer they will be hanging around in the rivers? I can't make it up there until Friday.

Is it better to use a fly, is it ok to use spinning gear? Is it legal only to have a single hook on your spoon?

When I was able to fish the rivers last year I found that the salmon hit best the ugliest fly that I could tie. I used a wooly bugger with some pink, red, chartruese and black. As Quick said strip the fly....you will snag some as can be expected but you will also find that they will race up and smack it really hard. Pinks don't taste great but when you can go catch 100 fish in a day it is worth it. Good luck to all who get out there and keep the reports coming.

Hit the shore this am. Lester was a 0 but I caught 2 Lakers at Brighton Beach. Small abour 4# a piece but fun. Then I went down to a spot I like just before the French and had on what I think was a Looper, may have been a steelie but it didnt fight like one. Lost it about 10 cranks into the fight. I then hit Stoney Point. Casted for about 1 hr. and didnt have a bump. Did the same in reverse order on the way home and didnt hook anything else. I was casting spoons. Both Lakers were on a orange and silver crock.

Came home took a nap and now Im off to Island.

i did some casting at the lester two nights ago and only hooked up once with a nice silver king. he put on a nice show for me jumping over and over and finally the hook popped out. i didn't see anyone else get anything but talked to a guy who said that quite a few kings and lakers had been taken the last couple days from shore.

I'll probally be down on brighton beach or just north of the lester around 5 pm tonight.

Quote:

Yes,check out fishing North shore rivers.

fishing North shore rivers .com, .org, or a different forum? What are you talking about?

Thought I'd chime in as my first post to say there's a thread by that name on the main page of this forum. I noticed it a few days ago.