• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Awesome deer stands!

Granny

I stopped by Jay Soderbloom's place the other day and he has come out with some awesome enclosed deer stands! The "Big Buck" deer stands have rubber roofs, aluminum frames, treated floors, and they have spray foam insulation for extra warmth. Check them out if you get a chance!

Granny

And would you care to give us any info as to where this is located so we might all also have a look at these "awesome stands"?

I assume its Soderbloom manufacturing. They are out of Cromwell.

5078 Highway 210

Cromwell, MN 55726

Just do a google search for Jay Soderbloom and you will find him. The stand in his pictures is the one my buddy just bought.

Granny

I finally finished my 4x8 and set it up in the woods. It ended up costing about $400. Which is less than half the cost of a manufactured stand.

If somebody would be willing to post the picture of it, I can email them the photo.

Nels

Perchking - thanks for posting the photo and the compliment. Wow, that was fast!

I was pleased with how it turned out and the legs (4x4s) are rock solid. I also have a cable tightly attached to the ground in the center of the stand so that a heavy wind doesn't blow it over. The windows slide. Its not insulated but with a small heater it should warm up just fine inside.

Nels

Great job! I just bought all the lumber and started one tonight. I'm building it the garage, taking it apart and re-building on-site. Mine is 5'x8', I might change to 5'x7'. I was going to use 4"x4" for the legs, but now think I might use 4"x6"x10'. How thick are your walls? How did you build it or put it up on site? I am going to connect the 4 legs to the floor frame(without plywood floor) and somehow stand it up and add floor and the preformed walls and roof. Do you think I will be able to stand it up, without damaging it? Also, how did you do the paint job?

I built the floor, walls and roof, in my driveway. I used 2"x3" lumber to frame it and 1/2" treated plywood for the walls and roof. I made it so I could take it apart and reassembled it on site. I used 4x4x10' for the legs and trust me, it is very sturdy. As you can see I made the legs wider (like a swing set)at the bottom to make it more stable. That also helps to get it upright because you hook the tow rope to the bottom of the legs and pull with the ATV and it pops right up.

The paint job is actually pretty easy. I got the idea from some predator camo I had. I made the color blotches with 3 different color of spray paint and then used a roller to apply the tan color and sharpen the edges of the color blotches. Finally I took a brush and some flat black paint for the branches, which looks a lot better at a distance.

With treated lumber, the problem is weight.

If I ever make another one it will be 5' wide instead of 4' so I have more room to draw back a bow. 4' x 8' is plenty big enough for myself and 2 kids to gun hunt which is what it will be used for mostly.

Nels

Nice looking stand and cool paint job!

Weight is a big factor in makeing a stand. I think Jay said his 4x4 stand is 150lbs. That is without the 4x4 legs. He figured the 5x5 stand is around 175lbs. Like posted above the treated plywood is probably the most heavy component. Jays stands have a treated floor but the frame is aluminum and then they are spray foamed to form the walls. These things will last for many many years!

Here are a couple pics of the stand my buddy bought.

bigbuck01ra5.jpg

bigbuck02xi6.jpg

You can do either...just depends on how mobile/stable you want your stand to be. You can see in the pics above the posts are not set in the ground but it is anchored down.

Granny

• 2 years later...

I used to drive by Soderbloom's house everyday. Great stands if you want a product that will last longer than a hunting career.