• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was I out of line? Customer Service Issue.

LaZyDayZ

Question

Was I out of line?

Until this is resolved I am not giving enough info to allow you to determine the dealer or manufacturer. I can tell you with no doubt the equipment is from a well known Manufacturer that has a reputation for quality. The dealer is relatively new.

Scenario:

I bought an accessory for some equipment 2 weeks ago. Easy to install, 6 screws and plug-in the cable. Once installed I couldn’t get it to work so after troubleshooting I called the Tech Support dept of the Manufacturer. They walked me through some adjustments and determined it to be a faulty piece on the accessory. 3 days later I received the new part and installed it. It still did not work. As this is an add-on accessory I wanted to make sure that my original equipment wasn’t at fault so I took it to friends who owns the same accessory and tried his on mine and it worked perfectly.

At this time I am a little frustrated but hey some times stuff happens. I call the Tech support back and they trouble shot it some more but could find nothing wrong and suggested I take it to the local dealer. Following his advice I make an appointment to have it checked out.

Yesterday 9/20/06 was the day of my appointment. I had my equipment in early and went to work. Around 10 the dealer called and asked me a few questions about what I had tried. I listed off all that I had tried explaining I had been messing with this part for probably 6 hours. Told him about new part, etc, etc. I also made the comment confidence was low that they would be able to fix it as I had exhausted a lot of options (all the manufacturer could think of) At the end of the day I drove back out to find that they stopped working on my equipment and they had determined there was nothing wrong with it, but still could not get it to function. At this time I am a little upset but maintain my composure. Then they pull out the bill for $200 and I get uneasy.

I explain that I bought the faulty equipment from you, and on the advice of the manufacturer I brought it in to be checked out. You tell me it all checks out but you can’t make it work and expect me to pay $200. Now I’m mad!

The main tech tells me it must be my equipment and I explain to him I took it to friends with same accessory and it worked perfectly. His response, “I don’t know that.” Mine, “You’re calling me a liar?” He pats the parts guy on the shoulder and walks back into the shop. For lack of better words at this time I AM PISSED. I tell them I paid $200 for the original part, now you want $200 to tell me its fine but it still doesn’t work. No way! You can take it back! He explains this is what his boss would have him do. I ask for the boss but he is away at a meeting.

At this time I am done working with these people and call up the manufacturer on my cell phone. I get the same tech who told me to take it in to shop. I explain the whole thing to him and he seems amazed. He asks me to give my cell phone to the parts guy. After a few minutes on the phone they hang up and the parts guy tells me the manufacturer is covering the labor to check it out under the warranty and also they are sending me new equipment at no charge. I finally feel like I am getting some customer service and calm a little. Realizing I had been rather stern with my tone I apologize to the parts guy and go out in the shop and apologize to the lead tech. He goes on to tell me what set him off was my comment earlier in the day about me not having faith in them being able to fix it. I explain to him it was not a lack of faith in there ability but more a lack of faith that there was anything left to trouble shoot. Just replace it. He then shoots me an I’m sorry too.

To make %100 sure, last night I replaced my original equipment the accessory fits on with a bran new one. The problem is still the same.

Next week when the new part arrives I will be taking it back to the shop. To tell you the truth I would prefer to never return.

Am I wrong here? What ever happened to customer service?

Wouldn’t you think they would call the manufacturer? I think he was calling me a liar.

What would you do or have done?

16 answers to this question

Wow!

I'd say you handled it pretty well. You called the MFG, did what they suggested. You even tried a known good system and confirmed that your gear was bad. Excellent troubleshooting on your part.

Sounds like the dealer needs to get a little thicker skin. I can understand the communication error. You meant nothing derogatory by your comment stating your lack of confidence in their ability to do anything beyond what you had already tried. The tech seemingly took your comments as "no way can you guys fix this."

Probably just a simple communication misunderstanding, and it happens constantly - simply because that is how human beings operate.

One thing I have learned is to hand the service writer and/or tech a written log of what I have been experience, what I have tried, and how to contact me if there are questions. Usually that helps.....but not always.

Quote:

I also made the comment confidence was low that they would be able to fix it as I had exhausted a lot of options (all the manufacturer could think of)

That would probably get me worked up if I heard a customer say that. You have no ability to gauge the skill of the guy working on your "equipment". The guy working on your "equipment" can't gauge your skills and assumes that like the other 90% of people you don't belong working on your own equipment. Wich is also wrong!!

On the other hand after the frustration wore of, I would take on the project in a new perspective. I would have done everything in my power to get it either figured out or working. Not only that, I would have got out my fine tooth comb and found everything that was wrong and needed attention, and gladly written you an estimate for it!! Don't care if it took a couple of hours or a couple of days just so I could call you up and say I figured it out! grin.gif

I also think the shop was wrong in charging you for there time. This is obviously a warranty situation and should have been delt with in a manner to gain customer satisfaction and loyalty!

For Future reference here are some other things that will get guys in our business worked up. Pleas note: "you" could be anyone and is not by any means directed soley towards lazy!! grin.gif

1. Park your car anywhere except a parking spot. Bonus points are awarded for parking in front of the bay doors!

2. Don't inform us that your driver side window is not working correctly and any attempt to use it will result in myself spending the next half our trying to get the window back up!

3. Garbage! Clean out your cars once in a while.

4. Thinking you can make repairs to your vehicle in my parking lot. This one really gets me worked up. You don't bring your own eggs and bacon to Perkins and cook them yourself, why would you think that you can fix your car in the parking lot of the place that fixes cars!!!

5. Telling us to replace something (without letting us know you already tried it yourself) and then come to find out you tried to replace it yourself and your cheap tools rounded off every nut and bolt. If you wan't to be a mechanic than go spend the $50k + that it takes to have the right tools for the job! (and yes I did mean $50,000 and it keeps growing every year, and it all comes out of my pocket not the employers!!)

I hope the new part fixes it! I always give a place two chances just incase one of us was having a bad day!! grin.gif

Thanks guys,

@Gissert I did exactly that. I had a written list of all I had tried, including hooking it up and working on a friends equipment. My cell number was on the bottom.

@airjer

I can understand how my comment of low faith could set a guy off. I tried to be clear that I wasnt doubting his ability but instead giving him a clear outline of all that had been tried in the hopes they would just replace it. I can see how it was a misunderstanding. Him flat out questioning my statement basicly calling my a liar was out of line. If they found a problem and the problem was in my install or I had damaged something I would of ponied up the $200 and been done.

Lazy, what pizzed the tech off whas the statement, what set him off is that you where right. He didn't get it to work which made you right and him mad.

I like the classic line, "There's nothing wrong with it(that we can find), but it doesn't work."

Been in the sending and receiving end of that one myself, and it never starts out pleasant either way. Usually, it works out in the end, but painful getting there sometimes.

Quote:

If you wan't to be a mechanic than go spend the $50k + that it takes to have the right tools for the job! (and yes I did mean $50,000 and it keeps growing every year, and it all comes out of my pocket not the employers!!)

So are you saying that just because I don't spend that on tools I should not make repairs on my vehicles? That seems like a pretty poor statment to make unless I misunderstood you. I have probably less than 1k in tools but make almost all repairs myself. If I need a specialized tool I go and buy it but buy no means will I never have 50k in tools. Does this mean that I should not be working on my vehicles?

jbell,

I am sure that airjer can stick up for himself, but, you should have copied the entire quote...

Quote:

5. Telling us to replace something
(without letting us know you already tried it yourself)
and then come to find out you tried to replace it yourself and your cheap tools rounded off every nut and bolt. If you wan't to be a mechanic than go spend the $50k + that it takes to have the right tools for the job! (and yes I did mean $50,000 and it keeps growing every year, and it all comes out of my pocket not the employers!!)

In his defense he was stating: do not bring it in and pretend that you (the person bringing the car in) used the improper tool trying to fix the problem. If you bring up the fact that you tried to fix it and gave a simple explanation of what you did, or failed at, they would be a little more understanding.

I was about the age of 17 my first car was a Monte Carlo, 77 to be exact and I was trying to get the tire off and I rounded the nut. Brought it up to the closest service station and I was panicking no idea what I had just done...(a little green around the horns) The service guy told me for 20 bucks he could take it off. I was really excited, it was going to be cheap. The rat "b" pounded on a smaller socket and it came right off. I was gratefull and PO'd at the same time. Dad thought it was funny too, (until I told him mom paid for it) grin.gif

The point I am trying to make is, if you are up front with the guys you are working with, they will get the job done but it may be a little extra. At least they know up front what to expect.

I hope I am not too far off base??? confused.gif

Jbell, Jbell, Jbell? Doubting the intent of airjer! grin.gif

I used to be like you guys! Rooky backyard mechanic, and barely that. I could change my oil, change belts, tires, spark plugs, etc. and thats about it. I had the cheap tools and I deffinitely got in over my head every now and then. The local shop was always happy to help me out and I was always honest and upfront with them.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. Just ask my bosses! grin.gif I've done some dandies over the years, and I've always been honest and upfront with the customers about the situations.

I was fortunate in getting into the trade at a busy service station in Shoreview. They had two very talented techs (Greg and Eric) that basically taught me the basics of what I know today. Greg was pretty laid back and was always willing to give detailed answers to questions. Eric was a hard nosed ex millitary guy that let you know when and why you screwed up or where about to. The experiences I gained from both where equally important.

Over the years the skin gets thicker (like somebody posted previously) and not to much is taken to heart. You learn that people know whats right with there vehicles and are often shocked when they get the estimate for whats wrong. People are generally upset that there vehicle has broken down and your just the first person they get to vent to. If I had a nickle for every time I was called a highway robber, or a penny for every time I was told I was crazy.

Quote:

Jbell, Jbell, Jbell? Doubting the intent of airjer!
grin.gif

I used to be like you guys! Rooky backyard mechanic, and barely that. I could change my oil, change belts, tires, spark plugs, etc. and thats about it. I had the cheap tools and I deffinitely got in over my head every now and then. The local shop was always happy to help me out and I was always honest and upfront with them.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. Just ask my bosses!
grin.gif
I've done some dandies over the years, and I've always been honest and upfront with the customers about the situations.

I was fortunate in getting into the trade at a busy service station in Shoreview. They had two very talented techs (Greg and Eric) that basically taught me the basics of what I know today. Greg was pretty laid back and was always willing to give detailed answers to questions. Eric was a hard nosed ex millitary guy that let you know when and why you screwed up or where about to. The experiences I gained from both where equally important.

Over the years the skin gets thicker (like somebody posted previously) and not to much is taken to heart. You learn that people know whats right with there vehicles and are often shocked when they get the estimate for whats wrong. People are generally upset that there vehicle has broken down and your just the first person they get to vent to. If I had a nickle for every time I was called a highway robber, or a penny for every time I was told I was crazy.

You sound like when a lawn guy gets a call to start maintaining a yard that's been cut at 1.5" for the last 6-7-8 years and they want it to look like Augusta National for a wedding that they're having in 3 weeks... grin.gif

Airjer, when I was a GM service tech, when people would scoff at the price I'd just tell them "I'm not a magician, I have no magic wand".

Now that I have moved on to an even more expensive service area I have learned that people still scoff at the prices but if the job is done right, on time and on budget even though then think your expensive they will call you next time they need work.

It's just human nature to complain, and I (and just about everyone else that I work with) still get torqued off when someone trys to tell me how to do my job.

Greetings,

The tech can think anything he wants to. Heck, part of his days is not being able to figure things out the way he might like to. So to sooth his own frustration he can get frustrated with himself all he wants, call the equipment a piece of junk, and from behind closed doors call you all sorts of inept names one may refere to a customer as. But that is where it ends. Period.

To your face he does not get paid to tick you off. However, you did pay to have the right to get frustrated at the part, mfg, dealer, and yes, even the mechanic/tech. Now that does not give us custers the right to beat up on people either. But it is a different process. You paid for it. He gets paid by his owner to work on them.

As a tech I have ways and words that I used to keep a customer happy or to deal with angry customers in a posative way. Many techs don't get the CS part of their job.

To many people are just not taught at home anymore what is appropriate behavior and what is not.

The best you can do is to not say things that you will want to or feel like you need to appologize for later. The same holds true for the businesses, though few of them really require, teach, and do it.

Peace and Blessings

You handled yourself quite well.

Being in the tech support area for over 5 years, all I can say is the particular tech who worked on your equipment has neither the technical nor people skills necessary to handle the situation. A good tech would have deemed the product deader than a door knob, called the manufacturer, and asked for a replacement unit.