• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for advice on this boat package

RosoRiverRat

Question

hello, I am a frequent viewr of this site but seldom take the time to post. I really like the fact that there's so much free information and the fellow Minnesotan atmosphere on this site. With that being said I need your help I have a chance to purchase this boat for close to the last bid and am curious what your thoughts are. Anything jump out at you that would scare you off? Thanks in advance for all the opinions...

********************** [NO EBAY LINKS] *******************

1996 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 side console boat (17’-2” long X 91” wide, 26 gallon gas tank). Remainder of 20 year hull warranty transferable.

1996 60HP Johnson 2 Stroke motor, 3 cylinder, w/ tilt and trim, plus spare propeller. New water pump preventive maintenance in 2002.

1996 Spartan 2400 pound trailer, spare tire and bracket (rewired and new taillights in 2005, new tires in 2002).

Custom travel / mooring cover, motor cover, transom trolling motor cover (by Top Gun in 2001).

Wavewackers splash guards.

Minnkota 48# thrust 12V bowmount trolling motor, w/ autopilot, w/ cordless remote control.

Minnkota quick release bracket for bowmount motor.

Motorguide 52# thrust 12V transom trolling motor, w/ spare propeller.

Starting battery and trolling battery, 2 trolling battery trays.

On-board 2 bank 10 amp trolling battery charger.

2 bank trolling battery meter.

4 seats / 6 seat bases.

AM-FM cassette w/ weather band, 2 speakers.

Eagle Optima 240 pixel graph (new this year) on RAM adjustable mount on dash.

Small RAM mount for GPS on dash.

Marine band radio and 8’ antenna at console.

Compass on dash.

Swim ladder on transom.

Left / right cargo nets in cockpit.

3 interior cockpit lights.

2 12V power outlets at console.

3 anchor cleats on bow, 4 bumper cleats on gunwales.

Vertical 3 position rod storage in rear.

4 removable rod holders with flush mount bases on gunwales.

3 marker buoys and carrier.

1 gallon Johnson oil.

Pump and grease for lower unit, and extra spark plugs.

All owners manuals.

Clear title.

Engine fogged and lower unit grease changed every fall. Trailer bearings repacked every fall. Washed frequently, waxed yearly.

Engine decarburized every spring.

No dock rash on boat – only minor dock bump marks.

14 answers to this question

clean boats arent that hard to come by,but it sounds like it has some goodies on it but I think the motor is a bit on the small side, just my .02 though

My 1st thought is its way underpowered. A 90-115 would be nice n that boat. I really dont think its that great of a deal with that motor on it. I would shop around this fall.

Sounds like it is nicely outfitted, but I agree as well - the motor is underpowered for that size boat. If you plan on fishing just smaller lakes it will get the job done, but if you plan on having this boat for a long time I'd wait and get something with 90hp+.

(I have the 2005 model of this boat with a 90hp and it has nice power).

Some fall deals should be out there, otherwise just wait until April when the market is flooded with boats.

DB

I believe he means no liens on the title. I didn't realize the state doesn't have salvage titles.

How much is the asking price?

The motor is solid, but a bit underpowered for a side console.

I didn't know we can't have links to ebay. The price was $7,000. I plan on using it with my young family most of the time, 2 kids under 7, mostly on small lakes during camping trips. I am only 30 minutes from LOW though, so I'm trying to find the perfect boat between the big lake and still pulling behind the 5th wheel.

thanks

If you're going to be on LOW, you might want a bigger motor. My father in law has a 1650 with a 70 hp Johnson. Lighter boat and bigger engine. He wishes he had upsized and wants to be in the 90+ range.

Guess the price looks good, and the boat should be solid. Are you going to be water skiing at all with this rig? Lots of time on LOW?

I'd agree that the motor seems to be a bit small for that rig. 90hp or more would serve that boat much better.

Well, everyone seems to be in agreement that the motor is too small. I guess it didn't concern me that much because the majority of the time I will have my family with and mostly just getting the kids some quality time catching sunnies and throwing daredevils for northerns.

I imagine if we kept the boat I would be pulling the kids around in a tube in a few years. I don't see us waterskiing behind it or any other boat but you never know.

It's hard to find time to get on L.O.W. for me but when we do we usually just go out on south shore when the fishing is good. I'm not one to put in at Warroad and spend the day going across the lake to fish on the other side.

I think I may just hold off on it for now. One thing I've learned is there's alot of boats out there.

Thanks for all the advice grin.gif

I don't think that 7K is a super deal for this boat. I wouldn't put much value in most of the equipment that comes with it like trolling motors and most of the other stuff you listed. The rig is 10 years old and the motor is old technology compared to what is out there today. Power needs are dependent on how you are going to use it. If you're going to make long runs you might need more HP. The value comes with the conditon of the boat and the motor. Unless you know the seller and the history of the boat I wouldn't buy it unless I got to demo it for a couple of hours.

Apparently this is a good deal but I would follow few steps to be sure boats is in good conditons.

Check compression, lower unit lube and propshaft straighteness, check there is no apparent damage to bottom of hull, tilt motor up and put pressure on bottom end to see if transom is solid, check all accessories work.

Also be sure it is not a scam where they offer you to send money overseas etc.

Definitely it is underpowered, but don't worry about "outdated technology", 10 years is not much for our freshwater equipment and they didn't change much.

I have an older 17' Crestliner with a 70 on it an it works pretty well, but it is probably lighter than the newer ones. I would touch that size of a boat with a 60 on it. Even it you are going to have the kids etc in the boat most of the time it will still be a bit doggy. One thing you don't want is to pay $7000 for a boat and after the 1st couple trips start thinking I wish I had more power.

Quote:

Well, everyone seems to be in agreement that the motor is too small. I guess it didn't concern me that much because the majority of the time I will have my family with and mostly just getting the kids some quality time catching sunnies and throwing daredevils for northerns.

One more thing to consider regarding motor size... even though 95% of the time you won't be worried about speed or power the one time when you need it to get your family home in some big rollers you'll be happy to have the extra power - that way you'll be able to get up and over them instead of running parallel with them.

marine_man

And just to offer up some experience from a guy who has ridden in an under-powered boat. When my dad bought his 16' 1987 Crestliner Angler, it had a 50hp Evinrude on it. Back then it was my mom, dad, me and my sister. We were (were being the key word here smirk.gif) all of average size. But, when it came time to take off and cross any size lake, the motor didn't have enough power for all of us to sit in our seats and get on plane. My sister and I would have to go up front and my mom and dad would shift their weight forward in their seats. After a good 15 or 20 seconds, we'd finally be up on plane going across whatever lake we were on.

If there were just 2 people in the boat, it wasn't as much of a problem, but it still took an uncomfortable amount of time to get on plane. In 1994 he put a 75hp Mariner on there and it was the perfect move. On-plane nicely in no time at all and you could have 4 full-sized adults in there no problem. And we are all much more "full-sized adults" than we were back then. blush.gifgrin.gif