Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
child23

Elk tags

6 posts in this topic

Does any one know who got the tags for by grygla. I am from that area and was just curious how it went. If anyone has any information bout it it would be appreciated.

Gissert has first hand details.

Both bull tags were filled last week. Nice bulls too.

What a rush thats got to be.

I was contacted by one of the tag winners prior to the season, and shared with him what I knew. He and his partner shot a great looking 6 x 6 opening morning. Right after they got their bull, a massive 6 x 7 came into them, stopping at 20 yards and bugled. Great stuff!

The other tag holder also connected opening morning.

What a difference a year makes. Last year, the elk were rutting 2-3 miles farther east, outside the hunt zone.

Congratulations to these guys, and to the DNR and RMEF for working to keep this herd going and growing. Better yet, there is a MUCH larger herd cooking up in Roseau and Kittson counties that trades back and forth into Canada. With all the habitat work that has been done, they are really starting to hang on the Minnesota side.

Good luck to those holding the cow tags as well.

Wow, congrats to those guys.

It is a wonderful thing to have elk in MN and the opportunity to get to hunt them. Kudos to those involved in making it happen.

There's a story in Outdoor News this week.

I am in the landowner section so i think i might apply next year. I have been thinking about it the last couple of years. I also have friends that keep track of the elk most of the year so I have a decent idea of were they are. I also get to see them once in a while throughout the year.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Huntin&Fishin
      Nope. Was waiting for more responses. I checked the dnr netting scedule and varied it was not them.
    • Cobber
    • Rick
      Private landowners interested in learning more about managing their woodlands for habitat and income can attend a low-cost workshop and field tour from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 6, at the Cohasset Community Center at 3rd St. NW, Cohasset. The Itasca County Private Woodlands Committee is hosting the workshop with assistance from the Department of Natural Resources Cooperative Forest Management (CFM) program. The workshop aims to educate landowners about timber management and how to thoughtfully and purposely harvest trees to create better wildlife habitat and generate income from a timber sale. Woodland owners can also learn about options for enrolling in a tax incentive program to reduce property taxes. The day will begin indoors with a series of educational sessions about managing forests to benefit a variety of wildlife, working with a consulting forester to write a stewardship plan, the mechanics of a timber sale, and how to contract with a qualified logger. After lunch, participants will board busses for an afternoon tour of different sites to see first-hand the differences in unmanaged and managed timber, and previously cut timber in various stages of regeneration. “Our last workshop this winter in Palisade had over 100 attendees and we are anticipating strong interest in the Grand Rapids area, too,” said Grand Rapids area CFM Forester, Josh Donatell. “Over the last 20 years, there has been a decline in timber harvest from private lands. This program helps restore lost habitat on private land as well as promote a more stable supply of wood and fiber for the timber industry.” Pre-registration is required. The $20 cost includes lunch and field tours. Participants should dress appropriately for outdoor weather and wear sturdy shoes or boots. Anyone interested in attending or registering can contact Josh Donatell by email at josh.donatell@state.mn.us, or by phone at 218-328-8912. An agenda can be viewed online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/woodlands/workshop.html.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • SpearPike
    • SpearPike
      anybody find anything out?