• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lower unit cleaning

Sutty

Question

I have an outboard that was sitting with the lower unit in the water and it has a nice build up of algae on it. It has baked on to a nice bleached white finish and I would like to clean it off...

I tried a few household things to loosen it up but the only thing that worked was a scouring pad. I don't want to scratch up the paint though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sutty

4 answers to this question

scouring pad and whatever for a cleaner. Or pressure washer, but I think the pad works better. I think there are several grades of how course you want to get.

Have you tried The Works toilet and bowl cleaner, the one in the bottle not spray bottle ?

Pour it on, let it bubble for few minutes, maybe use a plastic brush to rub, and rinse it off. It will get the cleanest you've ever seen.

PS Wear gloves....

Ebass, I tried a pressure washer but the algae laughed at it.... I tried differant scrubbing pads but I had to use one that was so course (sp) that it would have scratched my paint when I got down to it.