• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Show of hands?

eyepatrol

So how many people were just chomping at the bit to be duck hunting today (or I guess it would be yesterday now)???????? Northwest wind, overcast, cool....

MMMMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!! My hand is way up in the air!!!!! grin.gif

There aint nothin' more tantalizing than a cloudy overcast day with cool temps (or cold when we get there) and a good northwest wind. My brother and I called each other on the cell a couple times today talking about it. I live right next to the lake I hunt, and during lunch I could hear the geese going over the house. My brother builds complexes in the suburbs and he sees geese all day long.

What a great day it was. Perfect day for practicing up on the calling. wink.gif

Quack,,,,,,, Quack,,,,, Quaaaaaaaack, Quaaaaack, Quaaaaaack, Quaaaaack, quaaaaaack.

I hvae the calls in the work truck.

God-willing, opening weekend will have the same weather in store for us...

I'm lucky that my schedule allows for some mid-week hunting to keep me sane--will be out for geese tomorrow morning for one last crack at 'em in the early season. Then this weekend a buddy and I are headed north for some grouse hunting. After that, its all ducks and geese baby! (with a little pheasant thrown in in the afternoon hours).

so excited...

Basscatcher, Glad that you aksed!!! I cannot wait! I have several countdowns going, one on my computer, one on my cell phone, one on my calender in my room, and even one of my girlfriends phone. Currently there are nine days, 18 hours, and forty three minutes till duck opener. Looking forward to getting my bead on a few waterfowl again.

Take Care All! grin.gif

I don't know about you guys, but come that Friday night before opening day, I'd be lucky to get 2 hours of sleep. Heck, I just as well go out there after work on that Friday and drink enough to pass out. At least then I'd get some shut-eye! tongue.gif

Just kidding on the drinking part....I don't drink the night before a hunt. Not worth it.

I remember last year on opening weekend. That sunday hunt. I woke up at 400 and is was 70 DEGREES. I shot 1 duck that weekend. Mainly because I dont know how to shoot ducks yet. blush.gif

Amen!

This weather just makes it harder to wait. Luckily we had similar weather this past weekend while duck hunting in Ontario. There has been a lot of birds around up there, but I am still ready to get out to the usual spots on the U.S. side for a little duck slayin'! May Sept. 30th be a windy, nasty day followed by many more grin.gif

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

All I could think about the last few days at work is how much I wished I was in a duck or goose blind!!! grin.gifgrin.gif Seriously lets hope the Duck opener has the same ingrediants!!! TICK-TALK TICK-TALK is opener here yet smile.gifsmile.gif

Really? Everyone is pumped thats great cuz so am I, but just remember boyz along with that cold air and NW winds comes freeze up, we dont even need to mention that word on this forum yet! Lets hope for a few days with 60's for sometime first before the big blast!

My arm flew up so fast I think I hurt my shoulder! I'm praying for this kind of weather to get them up and moving. If this weather is a sign of things to come, we might actually have some water frozen over for the late season. I getting way ahead of myself but I am super stoked. Good luck to all and be safe!

I ran my dogs this morning and there were 50+ mallards in my pond. That is 4X as many as there have been since breeding season. It was awesome listening to there feeding chatter for about 15 minutes. Mostly awesome because I can't do a decent "feeding call", but I can definitely do the soft chatter they were doing this morning. I think this will be by far the best opener in MN for the past few years, I think the droughts in the Dakotas has pushed a ton of ducks our direction. This is going to be a long 9 days!!

I dont know how many times I have looked at the calendar hopeing it was the 29th. The worest part is that Cabelas waterfowl catalog is on my desk and the store is on my way home. Can someone please explain to my wife the reason why I spend so much time and money there? She doesnt seem to understand when it comes from me.

Can't help ya with that one fish.....most women just don't understand the language, and there just isn't a good interpreter around! wink.gifgrin.gif

You're not alone though....I'm in a similar boat. Is there any sort of support group for these problems??? crazy.gif

My girlfriend (getting married in january) just asked if she could go duck hunting with me this year. She asked if we can go to cabelas and get some camo. But then she asked if she could shoot my Berreta and I would shoot the moseberg. Hum' what do you think guys?

Is that a rhetorical question?? I think the answer is obvious (when it comes to the Baretta)! wink.gifgrin.gif

both hands are reaching for my gold hunter on days like this. typically the weekend before opener it cold, north west, wind drizzly then on opener blue bird but it still is better than work!

If you really want your girl friend to hunt with you. I guess thats a decision you'll have to make.

The bug didn't hit me until last night when I was checking my guns and ammo supply. Now I can't wait. This weekend when I will finish getting stuff ready, I'll be going nuts.

I just hope we don't get rain like we're getting right now! I've only hunted in the rain a couple times, but my experiences are that the ducks are pretty hunkered down.

Anyone feel that duck hunting is better in the rain?

I love hunting in this mist. It makes the birds fly low and if there is some pressure they seem to decoy better. A light snow is perfect!

Light snow makes for some pretty awesome mallard days! A steady rain like today has never produced well for me though. The only thing I shot was myself in the foot for even going out those days. blush.gifwink.gif

I am planning on being wet and maybe cold 'til Monday. Cannot miss the opener with the chance that it will not be 85 and sunny. So 3 guys, one dog, a case of shells, a 9am post time for the steel curtain...the real question is how long will it take to recover 18 ducks and 6 geese? Hopefully not the whole day.

You're going to want to read the Supplemental Waterfowl Regs before you bag 18 ducks for 3 guys in one day. This year it's 4 ducks instead of 6. So now the question becomes how long will it take to recover 12 ducks and 6 geese.

Yeah that's what I was gonna warn. This is year #2 of the four-bird limit.

As far as rain goes, I had an unreal shoot last year (by Ely standards) when it was an absolute downpour. I personally like a light rain or mist to keep the birds low and as an excuse to get bundled up in all the gear. I mean that's what ya buy it for right?? I would love to hunt in some snow this year. Close friends and relatives think I am sick for wanting nasty weather. Problem is I like it in the summer and any time of year. I just like it. Anyways that's my two cents about the rain question. A lot probably depends on the situation too.

Less then 12 hours till season begins for us Wi boys. Don't mean to brag wink.gif

This will be my 22nd year hunting ducks and I have butterflies the nite before. Bet I don't get more then a couple hours of sleep. Gota love it cool.gif

If there is alot of guys all over the place hunting I think that the rain can be good because it gets the ducks to commit easier. drizzle or light snow is my favorite. If I'm hunting during the week and its raining I'll stick to jump shooting ponds and rivers easier to put a sneek on them.

Elwood, I hunt alot in Zimmerman - My dad lives off of County Road 15 near Birch Lake. Seems everything is pretty dry over that way - have you been seeing many?