Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FarByondDrivn

Gull Lake Jig Bite

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I was wondering if the bite is still hot on Gull. Are they still hitting rigs or are they on the jigs now? If the jig bite is on, can I get away with fishing fatheads or do I still need the redtails? Are they still in the weeds or are they hanging on the steeper drops yet? Any info would be great.

The jig bite is picking up. Most anglers are still using Lindys but you can get some fast action on jigs too. Fatheads, Rainbows, or small Redtails all work well on Jigs this time of the year. We've been catching fish from 14 feet out to 23 feet. I think the fish are in transition to their fall haunts. They should start stacking up nicely. Which will help out the jig bite. Good Luck.

Jason Erlandson

Thanks Jason! Will be stopping in for some bait Friday morning.

If the fish are biting jigs, you do not need to waste your money on live bait. They will hit a munchie of twister tail all the same. Live bait is so over rated when it comes to jig fishing in my opinion. And if you notice the only person who mentions using live bait, just so happens to work at a BAITSHOP. Stick with the plastics, cheaper and just as if not more effective.

If the fish are biting, as you say Rancher.... it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out if the fish are biting to use plastics.

Back off the baitshop guy, he is only helping people out. That is what he does for a living..

Maybe you should be a little more positive........

Its OK Rancher, We sell plastics too! You are probably a tremendous jig fisherman especially with plastics, and yes platics do work. Sometimes better than livebait just like the commercials tell you. More often than not we use live bait on our jigs. We have used minnows for the last 30 years with fairly good success. Maybe just to be safe take a few minnows and a bag of plastic tails. Then you will have everything covered.

Rancher, this is an informative fishing site. Lets not get so sensitive when people are offering up advise, it isn't a competition.

Jason Erlandson

Plastics sure dont taste as good as the real stuff when you run out of snacks.Burl.

There is no way that I'm buying a guy can catch as many walleyes at this time of year by using plastics compared to a jig/minnow. I use plastics at times but nothing can beat the readtail chub. I know they are expensive but if it's big pig walleyes your after, the redtail is the key!!!!! I was out on Tuesday afternoon and the big fish are starting to go!

I have put enough hours on the water chasing eyes in the fall to know that a redtail chub is by far the best bait to use. I have some cheapa$$ buddies that don't want pay for minnows(let alone redtails) try and use mimic minnows and the like and I outfish them every time. I even use an expensive bait sauce on my minnows and crankbaits that I believe gets me more fish. Just my 2 cents...

Red tails. it's a no brainer.

They have the moves!I have a $40 a week habit.

Beats Heroin but just as addictive.

Lindy rig. not to long though as they will swim straight up to avoid danger. Don't jig 'em they know what there doing.

pf

tail hooked creek chubs or red tails, short lindy, and hover over the fish as vertically as possible, let the minnow do the "death" wiggle and hang on for the tell tale THUMP... I love using six inch plus minnows this time of year. The walleyes are like a fat kid at the state fair...

And yes toddb, I'm speaking from experience...