Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Seven

13 posts in this topic

Tis the number of species of fish caught out of good old Silver Lake in a couple hours of fishing this past Sunday.

Black Crappie

White Crappie

Warmouth

Bluegill

White Bass

Smallmouth Bass

Largemouth Bass

Had 2 larger fish on (I’m thinking they were foul hooked carp, but never saw either of them)

Nothing huge and no pictures today. The warmouth was one of the fattest warmouths I’ve seen. I fished 3 different locations and all produced fish. The Exude Micro Shad green & black was the hot color. I started with white and put a few on the ice, but after the switch to green / black, the bite took off. I had a blue 1/32 colarless jig head with custom glitter.

I also took a few fish off a Mr. Twister Lil’ Spinner Form #0 with a 1/8 oz pink jig head and a 2" pink & white Exude twister tail.

I found fish in all depths. The best fishing was probably 3-4’ down under a small float over 6 FOW. I also caught fish in as little as 1 FOW.

Great times, close to home. Great place to take kids. Grab an old bag of bread as well and toss some too the geese.

i thought this post was referring to the movie. i though to myself "oh no tyler is giving his first movie review and it is on THAT movie" i like this topic much better. 7 is a great number of multi species to shoot for. i know several other guys who fish rivers and that is usually the number they shoot for. nice going, ike

So do you work this jig and tail under a slip float?

I use Lindy/Thill GoldMetal Mini-Stealth # 2 floats. They are slip floats, but you don't need the slip knot. They have a piece of rubber tubing that keeps the line fixed to the float.

By far the best float I have ever used. The rubber slip never works for me, but I use them as a slip float and they are far and away the best. I get nervous using them around snags because I'm afraid I'll lose them. grin.gif

I thread the bobber on first, then thread on the rubber tubing (the line with go through both if that makes sense). Then simply push the rubber tubing over the bobber eyelet shaft area.

WoW, I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I'll go with it.

They make that same float with a quick attach and release. That way you don't have to break your line to fish the same rig with out a float.

Yep, those are the Lindy ones. I've heard that Lindy is no longer making those bobbers, so you will only be able to get the Thill ones. Thill is owned by Lindy, so it kinda makes sense.

I do like the quick attach / release clip that the Lindy bobbers provide. I like the multi color as well. I cleaned FF out of the Lindy bobbers about a month ago. I think Gander only carries the Thill ones now.

sonofa wink.gif

i think i get it and thank you for the info on a Gggggreat slip bobber but this thread is in need of some pictures badly. Help those that are not reader learners and are visual learner. Much abliged

Nice catch of fish Tyler. I never seem to pull much of anything out of Silver Lake when I fish it. If one looks at the DNR lake report you will find the crappie numbers to be very, very high.

The thill slip is definately my favorite and have pretty much used it exclusively now for about 3 years now. Back when I first started using them I had no idea what the rubber piece was for and always used it as a slip bobber. If you use one enough you will find that the rubber will start to break down. Gander has replacement sheaths you can get and cut down. They work really nice.

Andy

thanks bunches tyler i will definitely be picking one up and giving it a try. ike