• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

License Question

grizzald

I hunt zone 424. It has always been that you can take 2 deer with the all season license. (Bow, Slug, Muzzleloader). But I now have seen 3 licenses given to people this year. Something seems goofy to me because I didnt here anything about the DNR raising the total yearly limit for the all season license. Any info on this would be great.

grizzald, the all season license come with 3 tags.2 antlerless and 1 anydeer.now here is the catch you can only shoot 2 antlerless deer in any 1 season. so if you hunt in a managed area as you do the only way you can shoot a doe during slug season is if you apply and get a doe permit.so say you dont get a doe permit the only deer you can shoot during slug season is a legal buck. but if you get a doe permit and shoot only a doe during a slug season then you could shoot 2 more does during muzzlerloader or the bow season. so if people get gready and play there cards right they could shoot up to 3 does!!! now what do you think that will do to our deer herd? i dont think the herd in 424,433, and 431 can handle this.i am sure that there are other areas that cant also but these are the areas that i hunt and know about.there is just to much pressure for this in the farmland zone around here.in 431 there are only 50 doe permits given out per season. think of the pressure this put on the bucks. if we get an early winter and the deer herd up the muzzlerloaders will have a hay day and then if we get a bad winter with all the trees the dnr has cut down that will hurt the herd even worse. i will bet money that in 07 431 there wont be any doe permits. i dont know how you feel but i wish there was a antler point system or a different lottery. mn dnr should take a long look at south dakota. you may not get to hunt in the area you want every year but you will still be able to hunt. it sure would take some pressure of of these areas that need it. i would like to hear how you feel if you dont mind

i agree with ya totally on this one ortonville. 3 tags is rediculous in our areas. really what should be done is only a certain amount of tags given in each area and you have to apply for them..

Email your thoughts to the DNR, and I bet you get some feedback.

You might learn something about their plan, and they might learn something from your input.

Posting frustrations here about deer management most likely isnt going to get your voice heard by the people that should hear it.

The DNR has changed a lot of stuff around deer hunting in the state the past few years, and I would be willing to be more changes are coming.

Give it some time. It won't be perfect overnight, nor will everyone be happy with every decision.

But the fact is they are very dynamic over the past few years with regs.

Just to clear things up regarding the third tag. It was added by the legislature during the session last year. It was not a DNR initiative. Having said that, I think folks need to put it in perspective. Less than 5% of people kill 3 or more deer. In fact, only 25% of all-season hunters last year used both their tags. So, it's reasonable to presume that <10% of all-season hunters will actually use all 3 tags. Yes, some will but I'll bet lunch that most won't.

As for doing things like South Dakota. People need to remember we probably have more deer hunters (500,000) in Minnesota that SD has people living in the state. I just can't see people competing for buck license every year. How would you like to not hunt next year because you didn't draw a buck license? In fact, they'll be some information coming out next week that shows hunters don't want lotteries for buck licenses.

landowner preferance??? i would be able to shoot a buck every year and i have e-mailed the dnr they tell you what they learn out of a book. iam here every day and see first hand what is going on. i dont want to get into it on here. but if you would like to e-mail me or call me it could be arranged.

Lots of Public land in the Wabaun area that doens't get hunted much and lots of deer there, come and shoot the deer up here so i dont have to worry about hitting them with my pick up.

Quote:

landowner preferance??? i would be able to shoot a buck every year and i have e-mailed the dnr they tell you what they learn out of a book. iam here every day and see first hand what is going on. i dont want to get into it on here. but if you would like to e-mail me or call me it could be arranged.

No, my intent was to clarify a point, not get into an argument with you about deer management and how it should done. Sorry. Have a good weekend.

Quote:

Less than 5% of people kill 3 or more deer. In fact, only 25% of all-season hunters last year used both their tags.

i would have to guess, given that i hunted zone 424 for 12 years that since the all season has come about, there has got to be more than 25% of the hunters who carry the all season license in zone 424 are tagging out. now im sure that the number of people carring that license instead of a multizone or regular firarms license is proportionally less; but they are shooting plenty of deer. there was 8 guys with all seasons in our party alone last year and nobody had a tag left a week after thanksgiving. and i know many other people besides those i hunt with that get two deer around where i grew up north of danvers. looking at the permit numbers for slug hunting this year 150 doe tags per weekend for zone 424, while zone 416 has 750 per weekend. if the deer numbers are such that two zones right next to each other have such drastic differences in doe numbers, why are muzzleloaders and bow hunters allowed to take 2 deer with over the counter tags, but myself who just wants to go slug hunting in minnesota for 4 days to carry on the tradition and could care less whether i got a nice buck or a small doe, i have to apply for a doe permit. im sure i could go on and on; but for the sake of not getting a massive thread of deer herd management bashing going i will keep the rest of my random thoughts to myself for now!