Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tjm

? about late season food plot planting

tjm

Just wondering if a guy could plant now and get something to start growing this late in the season.I have access to 25 acres in a prime location if i had something that would work i could start on thursday.

If not i could use a few good ideas.Would like to plant a couple different kinds for the spring like 12 acres then put in a couple more later in the summer for a good fall plot.

I need to draw some of those big bucks the neighbor has over to this piece of property.Everything will be beans next year so when this happens all the big boys tend to stay on his side of the line fence once the beans turn yellow

Any info would be great otherwise we'll just plant corn and leave that in till the following spring

BLACKJACK

Clover is always good for a food plot, it will draw deer throughout the year. For annual plots, corn is good, it will really draw deer for the late season once the surrounding crops are gone and it will also help them thru the winter. Other good annuals that really draw deer are rye, oats, wheat, and some of the brassica mixes. If you have 25 acres, I'd plant a few different things to see what works for you and to keep the deer coming thru the different season.

For right now, you could plant a little wheat or rye, it would still come up and provide a green crop that the deer will hit.

Mark Christianson

I had a light freeze last night here at home. Not sure you are going to get much growth at this time of year, but winter rye and winter wheat is pretty cheap($8 for 50 lbs). Although that covers an acre max.

Gonna be a crapshoot this late I would think.

Code-Man

i wouldn't waste your money. frost is too near to waste and it kill something. Should have done it in August. I did one food plot Last week in Aug and it actually is doing pretty dang good but I'm worried about frost already. I'd save your money and wait til next year and try a summer food plot and a fall one that you would plant later in the summer (Mid August/Begin of Sept).

Mark Christianson

I was just outside.

All my pumpkin plants are wilted to nothing with the freeze last night. Cripes. (Big Lake area)

Wonder how the plots are up north????? Crud.

I cant win this year. Most stuff died from no rain all summer, replanted some stuff in late Aug, and over Labor Day weekend. Now a hard freeze. oh well.

tjm

Well thanks guys

Well we have some small corn fields that we leave for the deer already.

Looking for something a lil more tasty for this area to draw them over and keep them around for the nov-dec hunt.Something we dont have already.Any ideas for next season???

BLB- - - Well it looks like ya have a few on cam.Good luck

Gissert

Plant some winter rye or oats about mid August. I planted some Buck Forage oats on August 17, and it is looking great now. It it about 8 inches tall, and so far the deer are not touching it, but that is supposed to change once it gets a couple of hard freezes on it.

Buck Forage claims their stuff will stay green down to about -10.

It will be interesting to see how this plot gets hit once the crops come out.

Code-Man

Winter Wheat aint bad or do the canola/Rape which is a nice combo.

Mark Christianson

My winter rye that was planted Aug 26 is getting nipped.

I did a mix of brassicas with it as well, and that stuff is looking fantastic.

MN Mike

Well, I rolled the dice and we will see what happens, I put down some rye late yesterday afternoon just before this rain system moved in, I had a spot that I had roundup and mowed back in August but didn't do any thing else with it and the deer sign has been great. I just couldn't let it go without trying something, $4.50 for a bushel of rye, it's worth a gamble.

We haven't had much frost up here yet, and the forecast looks good for the next 2 weeks, atleast right now it does anyway wink.gif

Mike

Cooter

Keep us posted on that rye, I be it will do just fine - I got it growing in the back of my truck where some spilled, its lush and about 5 inches tall after 3 weeks! My uncle just planted some tonight, so we can compare notes, rained hard so he only got half of it in - glad I hunted in my ground blind grin.gif He got soaked!! Had two in until the wind did the ol swirl around mad.gif

Cooter

Oh yeah, we planted rye last year the 1st of Oct and although it didn't grow enough to be prime it still attracted deer that fall and they just go nuts over it early, early spring cuz its green long before anything else. Can't beat the price, it grows anywhere, and outcompetes weeds till its mature. Later.

MN Mike

We'll we got close, I was out last weekend and checked it out, patchs of green appearing and some areas already getting cut down by deer. Probably another week or 2 earlier and it would have looked real good.

It's snowing right now, got to think the growing is pretty much done for this year.

If it changes, I'll let you know.

Mike