Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cliff Wagenbach

COLD WATER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!

8 posts in this topic

This morning I got a rude reminder of why I always wear my life vest during the cold water season. blush.gif

While clearing the prop on my bowmount trolling motor of a line wrapped up in it I took a header over the bow of my boat when the motor popped out of it's cradle just as I was putting the prop back on! shocked.gif

With all of my heavy cold weather gear on I absolutely could not get back into the boat even with help from my client!

I finally had him start the motor and idle to shore until I could touch bottom and then I managed to crawl back into the boat.

Believe it or not, my heavy Cabelas Goretex coat kept my upper body dry even after being in the water for at least 5 minutes! laugh.gif My undies did get a little wet though! grin.gif

The only damage was to a cell phone that I hated anyway!

I went home, changed clothes, and we went back out and finished limiting out on walleyes. laugh.gif

Put those life vests on especially when you are out on the water with all of the heavy clothes that we have to wear to stay warm during the colder weather seasons!

Cliff

Glad to hear there was a good outcome to the trip! Everyone, Be careful!!

Finns.

Good timely reminder, Cliff.

My boat doesn't leave the dock (in any temperature) until every soul aboard is protected by a properly donned life vest.

It oughta be the law.

Thanks for the advice Cliff. I have been trying to get into the habit of wearing the live vest at least when we are under power. Glad to hear you came out of that incident no worse for the wear.

Glad to hear that you're OK. Folk's might want to upsize life jackets for the fall. I find that with thicker outer garments I needed to upsize my life jacket.

Bummer to hear about the swim... always knew you knew where to find fish, now we know why! You're swimming with 'em! Missed ya this year, hope to be back next! Nice group on pg 2 of the ole website!

It's a good idea to keep a throwable nearby for these cold water/heavy clothes situations too. Now where in the world did I leave mine?

cliff....glad to hear you are safe and dry....just heard about that....i have fallen out twice over the years....once in fall....cold !!!! ............fish on my friend