Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SartellMN

Morning or Evening?

13 posts in this topic

I have some new land to hunt. I also have a new baby. So, hunting time is limited. If I can only get out for one hunt per day, should it be the evening or morning hunt? When are people seeing deer?

This is in a wooded area between bedding and feeding areas.

It's hard to say, it really depends on the property. I guess I would start with evening & if that's not productive try morning, depending on your schedule. Some spots are good for both, some seem to be better in one or the other for some reason. If there's a lot of acorns we've had good luck morning hunting over them.

First off, congrats! Second, I would think either or would be good depending on what your experience proves. They'll either be headed out to eat or back to bed.

That said, I like mornings because I've seen a lot of deer movement then, the deer movement that does occur in the evening in my area generally does late at night, and it works better in my schedule for family life.

My wife would rather have me gone early morning that supper/bath/bed time with the little one. And I like the morning hunts because I generally have better light for hunting and tracking and field dressing. So it's a win, win for everyone.

I think it is easier to get in undetected for an evening hunt, but the bucks usually show up too late...

Snapcrackpop hit er on the head - if you can get to your stand in the morning without spooking the deer then go for it. If you're not sure, stick with evenings. Same consideration for getting out, can you get out mornings without spooking out of bedding area or out evenings without spooking off feeding area.

I prefer to hunt the evening as I usually have a hard time getting to my stand without bumping deer.If I am rifle hunting then I prefer the morning as I can sit farther away.

Its nice to hunt the mornings as you have daylight to track your deer.

Liek some of the guys said any time you can make work is a good time. I personally have had better luck with the evening hunts in the early season. The deer seem more at ease and show up a little earlier. As we get later in the season though, I definite see (don't always get to shoot!) more deer in the mornings. Liek the guys werer sating, getting busted on the way to the stand is a problem. I find that if I can come in as far away from the deer as possible (avoid open fields, bedding areas, deer trails, etc.)I do a lot better. This is easier said than done but so is bowhunting (ha, ha). Good luck!

i used to be one of those hunters up 2 hrs before crack of dawn make it to the stand an hour before dawan and go there till mid morning then do some work then come back 2-3 then go till after dark. didn't get a single deer that way. frown.gif Then I was sick one year and got out to the stand late just mad because I didn't get out there early and decided I'd be there for the whole day since I was late. Got a buck within a half hour :S. Next year something happened and I was late to the stand again. I got two does at the same time. Now I know deer move around when they want to but I'm starting to wonder if we have lazy deer who don't like getting up in the mornings. heehhee. I actually don't mind the middle of the day and evenings.

I would try both morning and evening and see when you get the most deer action. I seem to get out more in the evenings but I love those morning hunts, watching the sunrise, watching it get light and thinking you see deer off in the distance.

In my experience I have usually seen the most deer right at dusk, this is also where I have the most success. It easier to get to my stands in the afternoon and hunt the evening. However, I have noticed that when bowhunting evenings, I sit there for two hours and all the action is 30 minutes before sunset. when I hunt in the morning, I'll usually see deer at any given time. In the evening, when its dark, your done. Good luck and congrats on the new baby.

Early season I prefer mornings since it is usually cooler which I think helps for deer movement. In fact, if the high temps are getting into the 70's during early October, I will avoid all my good stands all together.

Also, it depends on your property and your approach route. I have one property that just doesn't seem to produce at all in the mornings but it's pretty good in the evenings. I only hunt in the evenings at that particular property.

I hunt a some what urban area and find mornings best for me mostly because things havent been distrubed at all through out the night. sometimes i have problems with dogs, fourwheelers, ect. in the evenings. good luck and congratulations on the baby!

Look at the weather......a cold snap 45 50 degree clear moring light breeze with dew everywhere and maybe a touch of frost is an excellent moring to be out.....vice versa when u have a warmer moring cloudy and rainy u might as just sleep in. as for evenings the evenings i like are when it is clearing up after a rain or when the temps are dropping fast or especailly if theres a snowstorm or some weather system blowing in. but if your still unsure hunt when u can moring or night rain or shine....over time u will notice patterns of weather and times of year moon phases when deer are really moving! grin.gif