• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

safety harness suggestions

woodview

I'm looking for some recommendations for a new safety harness.

Features I would like...

Full body harness not the belts or ones that just go under the arms. Too many safety issues with those even if they might be more comfortable or quicker to put on, etc

A good leg/groin design. My old one just had one strap between the legs and I'd imagine most of the momentum is going to hit right 'there' blush.gif Not sure if I'd want to take that particular upper-cut or just break my neck and be done with it. crazy.gif

Would prefer to stay away from the plastic clips. They are probably strong enough but it just seems that in freezing weather they'd become more brittle and likely to break during a fall.

Also looking for one that has a good design for when not actually sitting in the stand. Most accidents are going to happen when getting in/out of the stand or putting up the stand probably followed by equipment failure or dozing off, etc.

Any of them have soemthing similar to what rock climbers use?

The ability to use one as a deer draggin harness as well would be a plus. I'm assuming that you'd normally just wear the actuall harness going to/ from stand so might as well save on the grip using it as a drag if possible.

I too have a vest one.. Not sure what brand it is... But its quite easy to put on and confortable... I even jumped out of my stand(keep in mind I was only 3 feet off the ground when I did this) to see how much it hurt or how well it worked.

Whoa, I was picturing someone jumping out of their stand 20 feet up at first! Pretty gung ho to be testing it like that.

I have a vest style harness that I bought this year as part of a Fall Guy retractor system. It is way more comfortable to wear and much easier to put on, expecially in the wee morning hours than the traditional harness. A vest syle harness is the way to go if you ask me.

As for one that is a deer drag, how does that work? I'd be concerned about the stress it would put on the harness itself? Maybe I'm wrong but my warning label says the vest if to be used for one fall only and then replaced. It probably wouldn't need to be. But I'd rather be safe than sorry and just thankful I'd survived the fall.

I have the original Seat of the Pants safty harness. Its a little awkward at first to put on but with practice its ok. Looking to buy the new Seat of the pants harness that looks more like a vest for my wife and if I end up using it, so be it. Just get a good one, your life may depend upon it!!!

chucker, how does that Fall guy system work? I 'assume' that you have to climb the tree once to attach it, then after that you're good to go? What if you have multiple tree stands, then how do you use it?

Blackjack, you hook it up to the tree and tie a light cord or rope to to the latch and run that down the ladder or side of the tree. Then, when you want to use it the next time, you pull the cord down and with it extends the safety belt which you then hook onto your harness. Then you're connected throughout. When on the ground again, you tie the cord on again to the belt and let the belt retract back up to the box attached to the tree. It's really only useful if you plan to leave it on that tree for the most part, which i do. I have a nice new ladder stand (my honey hole) and several ground blinds that I hunt from. If you only had a few stands, you could even buy another retactor at a reduced price to go with it. Otherwise, you might do better looking into the safety harnesses that come with a prussic knot/rock climbing type device you can use on many trees.

Personally I prefer the full body harnesses. Yes they are a bigger hassle, but they shouldn't be uncomfortable. If they are then you have your leg straps too tight or your side straps too tight pulling up on your crotch area.

I participate in MBRB for inner city and sensitive area bowhunts. They now require a full body harness because last year a hunter died of asphyxiation (sp?) wearing a vest style harness. It got under his ribs and the srap went around his neck a bit. In his efforts to get out he got stuck worse.

Vest style and belts hanve no way of staying on your chest the way they should just like a life jacket. Unless you have something securing it to your legs it can ride up and cause problems in certain situations.

I climb trees for a living and do some rock climbing so I know how these harnesses should fit. If you don't know or its uncomfortable, experiment with different fitments. A good harness will have several slide pieces to fine tune your size. You should adjust for torso length, chest size and leg size.

I use the harness that came with my Rivers Edge treestand. It is a full body system with metal slides. There are 2 slides for each legstrap and adjustments for the chest and torso. The safety strap attaches mid-back. It has a looped end to use the tree belt (which has 2 slides) and a climbing belt for using while hanging your steps and stand. I used it as a drag harness by clipping in near my waist.

As long as you don't put stress on the accordion section of the safety strap it is still useable. Test your harness at a safe height. You should be reasonably comfortable if you fall out and you should be able to climb back onto your steps or your stand. I keep mine stapped to the tree high enough that it puts a bit of tension on me while I'm sitting.

My vest style harness is exactly like a regular safety harness except that it has a vest over the top portion, which keeps the upper body shoulder and chest straps, etc., neat and even. It even tightens like a regular harness. It also has the traditional leg loops. I am quite confident is it is every bit as safe as a regular safety harness. It's just easier to put on.

I would bet most places like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Fleet Farm, or your local proshop would have at least one model. I would think they'd run anywhere from $50 to $100. Mine was $100 on the dot but it included the retractor system so just a vest should be less. I agree with what powerstroke has to say, though, make sure it's a full harness with a vest over it. I can't believe they'd be allowed to sell those that were simply a vest or anything less than a full harness. You'd think the liability issues woudl be too great.

I have another question regarding safety harness'. Does anyone know of any place selling or brand names that make them for over 300lbs? I as you can guess am over 300 and I am 6'5", the one's I have found are too short first of all and second they are for 300lbs. Thanks if you can help.

I believe the standard harnesses provided by Summit with there stands are good for more than 300, since they provide them with stands rated for up to 350 lbs. They have all there stuff online, just google summit stands and that will get you to there web site...

Their climbing system is pretty darn foolproof. You use your harness as a linemans belt the first time up, then after that you have the rope attached to climb with.

BigWade, I was saying before that any harness worth its weight would have adjustments on the sides for torso length. Try going to cabelas or another sporting goods store and test fit a few. Wear or bring what you would wear into the woods.

Big Wade, I also tip the scales at about a sixth of a ton...

I've been using the Summit Full Harness which does the trick. I got it with my Summit Goliath Climber which is rated to 350. I've never had a more comfortable and sturdy stand...

I also strongly encourage ANYONE who hunts out of a hangon or ladder stand to get the FALLGUY System. Its great. It protects you from the first step off the ground to the last, just like a seatbelt, it retracts and stores the strap unless you fall fast, then it safely stops you. We've got three of them, and are progressively going to get all six at some point hopefully.