Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim W

Fall turn

7 posts in this topic

Anyone either have journal info or good memory of Bemidji area Fall turn over?

I am fully aware of it being lake specific and weather related.

Earliest and latest turnovers? How's that?

Thanks for any info...

Jim W

Not alot of takers on that question, eh Jim? Always seems to be a lot of debates about the whens/wheres/whys of turnover.

But... I can tell you what I've seen. I've been fishing the Cass/Bemidji area in the fall for the last 8 years. Been up anywhere from the first week of Sept. to the second week of October. I know that twice (in Oct.), the lakes had turned. Water temps were in the mid/upper 40s, crystal clear, and we were fishing in 30 degree temps and snow! But the last few years it seems to have been pretty mild in Sept. So I'm assuming that turnover probably wasn't going to happen until at least mid October or later.

Still, I'd consider my observations with turnover in the Bemidji area pretty limited. I'm guessing one of the locals will chime in soon enough.

Thanks for the reply. Taking a vacation with my family. Called the spot on the lake and the owner claimed the lake has already turned> I said "WOW, so early" put simply.

Comments?

Everyone gone fishin' in Bemidji?lol Use to get some quick info from the Bemidji area forum. Anyword?

Anyone have any info on current water temps and conditions on Lake Bemidji right now?

And if you were out this weekend... how'd you do? Thanks!

Going to be in the area this Wednesday. cool.gif

Cass and Winnie were about 57 at the surface and 52 in 35 feet last weekend.

Smaller lakes south of bemidji were more like 58 at the surface and 56 in 35 feet with very poor visibility.

I'd say that if we have a few more days of cold nights and a little wind that should really help things along.

Just returned from one of God's countries. I'd have to make a stab that where I was turn hasn't occurred.

Surface temp remianed an average hovering 57 all week. Walleye were more than cooperative...when there was some wind!lol

Thanks for the replies Musky

Jim W